The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

transfer case recall

My transfer case locked up on me about three days ago. I was trying to figure out where i was going to send it. When i came across a recall on the transfer case. I was wondering if anybody has taken there car in for the recall.

atc250r

Staff member
I'm sure lots of people have. The first thing you need to do is find out if it is still open on your car or if it's been done already.

John

fivestardsm

You would be hardpressed to find someone that has NOT taken thiers in for the recall. Just contact your nearest Mitsu dealer and ask them about it. They will ask your vin# to see if it has already been done, and then they will decide if they want to stand behind it. The statuet of limitation on the recall only lasted either 7 or 10 years. So some dealers will not warranty the T-case, but some will only warranty either the labor, or the parts.

Id call first, then start looking for a used transfer case in the parts forsale if they dont want to warranty the recall. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

atc250r

Staff member
I would call Mitsu directly with the VIN number and ask them. An unscrupulous dealer might lie and tell you it isn't open when it really is. If its open and the dealer refuses I would go to Mitsu again to complain. Lastly, even if it really has been done you might be able to squeeze one out of Mitsu if you put some pressure on them.

John

gvr4ever

Quoting fivestardsm:
You would be hardpressed to find someone that has NOT taken thiers in for the recall. Just contact your nearest Mitsu dealer and ask them about it. They will ask your vin# to see if it has already been done, and then they will decide if they want to stand behind it. The statuet of limitation on the recall only lasted either 7 or 10 years. So some dealers will not warranty the T-case, but some will only warranty either the labor, or the parts.

Id call first, then start looking for a used transfer case in the parts forsale if they dont want to warranty the recall. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I didn't realize that safety recalls expired. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

atc250r

Staff member
I'm pretty sure they don't. I think Federal Law mandates they be honored indefinitely. You'd have to research that but I'd bet a call to the NTSB would get you an answer.

John

fivestardsm

I dont think that that it expires through Mitsubishi persay, but I have heard of folks having issues with the dealers not wanting to uphold the recall and work be cause of the age of the vehicle and availability of parts.

But I guess I should not comment with out doing the research to back up my statement with facts. Forgive me.

I do agree with John though, if the dealer dosent want to, call another and or call Mitsu directly.

Last edited:

gvr4ever

People having problems at the dealer? That could never happen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Ya, just call another dealer. If none are in your area, I'd just try and find a used t-case. Technically, one could call nhtsa and report a dealer, but it would probably take a year to get a new t-case that way.

I found a place called Jacks transmission on another forum they rebuild transfer cases for 350. If I have no luck at the dealer I was going to send mine there.

^^^^Thanks for posting. I know I can get a used one for a hundred. But with my luck it would mess up too. I'd rather have mine rebuilt. If the dealer won't fix it.

1941Galant

Even if you have the t-case rebuilt, it will happen again if you don't replace the driveshaft yolk, which is the real problem. I believe it is a $19 part from Mitsu if you do put a new yolk on yourself.

atc250r

Staff member
Definitely nothing wrong with a used one and personally, I'd probably take a used one over a rebuilt one. If you do the yoke and keep the fluid topped off you'll never have a problem again. But if you can get a nice brandy new one from Mitsu then why not try?

I'll try to get one from the dealer if not get a used one and a new yoke if that's what everybody esle would do and put that money towards the tranny rebuild.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned