The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Trans crapped out and locked-up!!!! Please HELP ME!

I knew my trans was going out, but I had every gear but second. took the car for a spin around the block, tried to back it into the garage and there was a loud clunk, then a thunk. tried to pull it out of reverse and it was difficult to get it out of gear. there was grey sh*t leaking out of the trans and the car in neutral wouldnt roll forward or backwards. how do i get the thing in the garage?! Please, any help would be great. Anyone local to tacoma that wants to help me with swapping in my 1g trans would be nice. I have cash and carparts and I need this done soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

G

Staff member
Too many hole shots.

I wish....its just the stock GGSX trans, the dammed thing has never been raced a day in its life nor has it ever been launched....it does have 165k miles on it..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I just put my EVO MR wheels on there as well, and it looks soo nice.

donkeylips

Same thing happened to me with 924/1000. Still not sure exactly what it was... the output shaft came right out though.
At this point, try forcing it back into reverse, but don't break a shifter cable like I did. Or just have someone sit in the car and leave their foot on the clutch while you roll it.

You've got a dsm or gvr4 t-case and rear diff to go with that trans right? Going with the DSM trans is a good idea and will ultimately be cheaper than buying ggsx parts if something else fails on you.

Last edited:

Quote:
Or just have someone sit in the car and leave their foot on the clutch while you roll it.

how will that work if the transmission itself is screwed? I know when mine blew like that (this was in a saab, but did the same thing, didn't wanna come out of gear), putting it in neutral didn't help the rolling situation, just let the engine run /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

donkeylips

Yeah, it may not work if it's messed up bad and not in gear, but if it's stuck in gear, either reverse or a forward gear somehow, it'll roll. When mine blew, it was pretty bad. Put a bunch of holes right through the side of the transmission case, but I was able to force it into 1st and it drove like that just to get it off of the thruway haha. It was making all sorts of horrible noises. But where is it sitting that it's so hard to work on? If it isn't in a gear at all, why not just pull the axles and t-case real quick where it sits? Then roll it in.

Either support the driveshaft in a way that it can spin without clanking around too much, or just go ahead and pull it. I just wouldn't roll it without some kind of axles in the front wheel bearings, for fear of messing up the wheel bearings. You can probably manipulate it in a way that leaves the axle in the hub, but still has room to spin. A good way to do it is to get a couple of bad axles and cut them so you just shove the part in that goes in the hub. That way nothing will be clanking around.

donkeylips

Ok, I have to amend that by saying that if it's stuck in gear, it will not necessarily roll. I had a super long night. I would put my foot on the clutch and mess around with the shifter to see if anything will make it roll. Otherwise, remove the axles and driveshaft.

You could try a set of car dollies....

click

Those are a little expensive, but its an idea

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned