The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

tranny only goes in 1st 3rd 5th???? after quick decel at yellow...

mitsuturbo

It's extremely doubtful that you had all 3 sliders all get chewed up bad enough not to engage the hubs, all seemingly at the same time.

EMX5636

I'm still with almost everyone on here so far. While it's possible for it to be internal, the chances seem slim. Double/triple check all your cables, shifter, linkages on the trans etc.

gvr4144

^ wouldn't I be able to put in gear by hand if that was that case..?

mitsuturbo

Does the shifter in the cabin have a full range of motion? Or does it simply not pull back as far as it should? If it has full range of motion, it's a separated cable. If it stops, something is obstructing it inside the transaxle.

EMX5636

If you still can't put it in 2nd or 4th with the cables disconnected and actually moving the shift arms on the transmission, then it has to be internal.

1 and 2 use the same rail/fork, 3 and 4 use their own, and 5th and reverse have their own. The 90* arm on the trans that lifts or lowers the shift shaft, is to go between the 3. Then forward/backward selects a gear. There are detent balls that keep the forks engaged. Short of breaking two shift rails, I'm not sure how else you could have this issue.

mitsuturbo

I've been wondering the same thing. I'd almost put money on it being a separated cable, but then again my question about full range of motion with the shifter in the cabin was not answered, and that would make all the difference as far as determining whether it's internal to the trans, or the cable.

gvr4144

Sorry guys lost my job last week been busy I'm just going to pull the tranny. I have a galant gsx tranny does anyone know if I can just bolt it up?

gvr4144

@mistu I can't put in gear by hand when I move the selector it moves the shifter as it should in the cabin

EMX5636

Quoting gvr4144:
Sorry guys lost my job last week been busy I'm just going to pull the tranny. I have a galant gsx tranny does anyone know if I can just bolt it up?

Galant GSX trans will bolt up, but the front diff ratio is different, so you would either need to also swap in the Galant GSX rear diff, or split the trans and swap the ring gear off the front diff and the pinion shaft.

Also, I know you are moving the selector arms on the transmission, but did you also do it while the cables were disconnected from the arms?

Last edited:

gvr4144

Okay thanks for the tranny insight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif and I didnt take off the cables while trying g would that make a difference..?

mitsuturbo

Again, i must reiterate. If your shifter in the cabin has FULL range of motion, yet will not push the selector into gear at the transmission, you likely have a separated cable. An easy way to tell is that when you pull back to 2nd or 4th, it will feel "mushy" and then hit the rubber stopper on the shifter arm.

Now, i'm not saying a transmission issue is outside the realm of possiblity, just that you may have a cable issue as well. If some chunk of debris wound up blocking the shift rails inside the transmission, this could have actually CAUSED a cable separation. Also, make sure and check the retaining bolt on the front of the trans, just below the shifter linkage where it goes into the transmission. If that's loose or missing it could cause shifting issues as well. It sounds like you've got the full range of motion in the cabin, but not at the transmission. Something has to give somewhere in order for this to happen, and the only place that can happen is either via a loose cable bracket, or a separated cable.

gvr4144

Do you not understand I manually can't put the car in gear (at) the selector beyond the cables and shift bracket s.

EMX5636

Take the cables off the shift linkages and try it. If you have something binding or obstructing that will pinpoint which way to go. If you can get all the gears with the shift linkage W/O the cables attached, then it's a cable/shifter problem. If not, it's probably internal. HOWEVER, one thing to consider, not always do all the synchro's line up while the trans is at rest, if you can't get 2 and 4 to drop in, put the trans in neutral, crank the car for a second or two, and then re-try... STILL WITH THE CABLES DISCONNECTED. Normally, I do this on a bench, with a turning tool on the input shaft, but you can do it with the starter as well.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned