The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

no first or second

464/2K

at a dead stop i can not get the car in to first or second gear, once i get moving its really tight but it will go into those two. 3rd,4th and 5th are all fine along with reverse. this happened out of no where, yes the tranny has oil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif gear selector fuxored??

edit: the shifter cables are all fine. clutch has fluid....

Last edited:

89coltgt

Sounds like the shifter linkage needs to be adjusted. Did this just happen out of nowhere or have you just installed the trans?

464/2K

yeah just happened, havent messed with the transmission....yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif.

464/2K

anyone?

have you tried adujsting your master cylinder? my car wouldnt go into first or second or reverse because of that. also make sure the shifter linkage is fully bolted down.

464/2K

no not with the car off either. I'm thinking it's some thing internal

Wizardawd

You could have either broke or popped the retaining pin from the 1-2 shift fork. Seen it before, easy fix other than trans has to be pulled and disassembled a little bit. I had a FWD 5-spd do this and was kinda easy to tell since 1-2 felt like they were totally gone. Reinstalled the pin after we found it laying inside and all was good again. Only to break the diff. during a burnout at the track a week later. Possibly even a bent/broken shift fork too.

Of course try the other adjustments first (clutch pedal, bleed, etc.). It could also be a clutch disc issue, but you'll find that if you pull the tranny.

But, since it happened suddenly and only affects 1-2....

Wiz

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts