The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Traffic Online article - Modified VR4 "AMG" + real AMG

Ralli380Gvr4

CLICK
I hope this isn't a repost.

Red looks good, especially with AMG bodies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

raptorWagon

I didn't know VR4s came in fwd....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting raptorreed:
I didn't know VR4s came in fwd....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

No where in there does it say "FWD", it says 2wd and the other is indicated as 4wd with lsd.

My guess: locked center differentials, one with the front axles removed, running in rear wheel drive mode (like i currently am) and the other with a locked center diff and rear LSD. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

DR1665

Somewhere there's a few pictures of those guys and about 40 friends over there. Pretty sure it's Malaysia. Most of the cars were usual colors (save green), but there were maybe 3 red and one orange. I used some of them in a post on my website a few months back. Wish I remember where I found them. (Probably here, naturally.)

click

PS - Ricky. There's a link to their forums in that article on the Traffic mag. Kick ass. Take names. Interview them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Whoodoo

Thanks for the link! Lots of sweet looking cars in there. One in particular struck my fancy. The one second in line as a evo 3-esque hood. I'm sure its a custom jobby, but it confirms that the Galant can pull it off.

EDIT: I also like the 'eyelids' on the white car.

EDIT #2: And where did they get those sweet lips? Not that the Boostx lip aint bad, but those are nice and subtle. Daddy wants!
24380-0-0-0.jpg

Last edited:

curtis

Thats the same lip John is coping I believe. I think the amg bumper is making it look different

RedTwo

Isn't that just the AMG bumper? ie: no lips added?
"Interesting" article, I'll put most of it down to translation issues, otherwise I'd have a tanty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bazeng

That AMG has a lip added.

I wish I had a lip like that.
Also I wish I had bonnets like the ones in the background!

Whoodoo

Well, Bazeng, as soon as I have the means, I'll be attempting to make a lip and hood very similar to those. For the last few weeks I've been doing a ton of research on how to go about doing this.

For the hood, I'll probably use an evo 3 as a reference and fab up a hump out of steel to blend into a stock non-vented hood.

For the lip, I've been trying to figure out how to make it. Fiberglass is the easier solution, but I'd really like to make it out of urethane for durability's sake. The majority of urethane auto body parts are injection molded, but some are thermoformed. Both of which require quite a lot of tooling to accomplish.

That's still a while off though. If I do get around to doing it, I'll be sure to mention it somewhere on here.

RedTwo

Racepro does a fiberglass Evo 1-3 bonnet center but they charge a ridiculous amount for it!
I think that orange car is now grey, or it was the old colour:

Whoodoo

I'd rather do a metal hood. I'm not a big fan of hood pins and fiberglass that doesn't sit strait. I couldn't find anything about a racepro hood on google, do you have a link?

Ralli380Gvr4

Whoodoo. I think RedTwo was just talking about the center section and not the whole hood.
It looks like you would have to fuse the fiberglass center section and hood together, either with a fiberglass or CF hood.

Quoting RedTwo:
Racepro does a fiberglass Evo 1-3 bonnet center but they charge a ridiculous amount for it!...

RacePro's website

NZ to USD conversion = $427 usd for the center section and $161 usd for the vents. Together about $590 w/o shipping...plus a donor hood and body shop fees /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Talk about a pricey/baller hood. The end result looks undeniably good though.

Whoodoo

Good god! That's soooo expensive. I bet you I could do the whole thing in metal for about 300 bucks. All I need is a junkyard steel hood, some sheet steel, and a paint job. Plus I would want the hood to have slightly softer lines than that evo center. Thanks for the link though.

cheekychimp

I asked about that hood some time ago and the pictures I was sent showed that it was made from a cut EVO III hood grafted onto a Galant one. If I ever did this, that is the way I would go. Years ago I had a similar hood made for my old 8G Galant VR4 using a fiberglass centre section on an OEM steel hood. I am not sure if the rate of expansion of the different materials, vibration from the chassis or a poor choice of primer/filler/bonding agent was to blame but the paint cracked along the edges of the graft. I had it redone several times but after getting the same result, I eventually gave up. I ended up having my hood prepped and used as a mold and then had the whole thing redone in carbon fibre.

Last edited:

496of2000

I Actually own one of these hoods. It does fit, but you have to drill out the stock hood latch a little bit. I installed hood pins to hold it down, due to it moved around alot while driving on the street. The hood has EVOIII hood vents which are larger than the stock ones from JDM vr-4s.
It's still sittng in may garage boxed up.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned