The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

TPS problems

sydrew

well here the problem i installed my tps sensor to wat vfaq said and still a CEL number 14 but when i gas it the CEL dissapear only time it comes on is when it idle i do have a data logger but dont even kno how to run the program sry but this is the noob section right and this is a nooby question and can any tell me how to use that dam datalogger thnx

Maybe reset your ecu and then see what happens. Reload your data logger software. It should read 10% when off throttle.

stevep

Quoting sydrew:
well here the problem i installed my tps sensor to wat vfaq said and still a CEL number 14 but when i gas it the CEL dissapear only time it comes on is when it idle

The VFAQ procedure it wrong. From the sounds of it you aren't putting out enough voltage at idle. You want 0.5v or 10% TPS on a datalogger.

sydrew

i reset the ecu and still the same and about the datalogger man im so noob i dont even know how to use it.. It got mmcd tool and dsmlink version 2.5 i need guide on how to log this thing

seizer

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gifive been having the same exact problem... so the light comes on when comming to a stop then goes off when leaving from a stop? i havent got a chance to get down to this issue cause of weather and work not to mention lack of experience, but i did the old-school way of getting codes with a buzzer and also 14. i was lookin around and found this site. i dont know how accurate these procedures are but hope this may help you click im still learning things also i will follow along with this thread and see if i can use the info.. good luck

No, as Steve has said before, checking the TPS by its resistance isn't the best way. You are better off either using a logger to watch the TPS % or volts, or put a voltmeter on pin #19. You want to set it so it is between .45 and .55 volts, or 9-11%, at idle. Do NOT try to use the TPS% on an AFC to set it, as the AFC learns those values and they are not correct.

seizer

I just did it that way to get a better guess why the CEL was on. since a friends dad had a buzzer handy when i got to his house i used it. I didnt intend on just using that i was gonna buy a voltmeter and follow these instructions on misc. tb info if it's correct. I also do not have a logger either but are the instructions about the throttle body under engine maint. accurate on this site jeff? click so i know im not following wrong directions? havent drove the car since trying to reset ecu after this came about, but it came back on and off like he is explaining.

Those are the directions I am telling you NOT to use. Just put a voltmeter on the TPS pin to the ECU, set it to read DC volts on a low scale (the most it can read is 5 volts), turn the key on, and adjust the TPS until you see .45 to .55 volts without touching the gas pedal.

seizer

sorry sydrew didnt mean to jack the thread. Jeff thanks and also sorry i did not realize those were the same instructions as vfaq. I now understand this process and accomplished it no more cel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

thecman02

I've had a problem rise up from my tps. It reads about 33% and 1.5ish volts on the sense line. I can't get it to adjust any lower. The throttle plate is closing. The TPS sweep still scales up from 33 to 99 percent. Would it be safe to assume my tps is just junk? The 5 volt supply line is at an even 5 volts. The Sense line was around .5 MegaOhms and the Ground was around 5k off the top of my head. My car throws TC 14 also when at idle so it sees the throttle switch closing.

Are you saying that the ground side of your TPS is at 1.5 volts??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

496of2000

I used this web page to fix my TPS problem. I ohmed it out and one of the legs was open. On the logger it showed normal and went from zero to 100 percent.
click

thecman02

Quoting keydiver:
Are you saying that the ground side of your TPS is at 1.5 volts??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

The TPS signal line is 1.5 Volts at closed throttle. The line that usually goes from .5-5 volts.

If you are sure that the ground side of the TPS is at 0 volts, then yes, your TPS is bad. It seems to be a common problem for them to be open or have high resistance at the ground side of the potentiometer.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned