The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

car over heating when cel comes on

sydrew

i need help on why is my car is over heating when my cel comes on i pull the code the old fashion way and the multi meter needle just keep on sweeping saying it a code 1 but i drive it for awhile and the cel well go off and everything back to normal and i change a new thermostat too so well a faulty ecu make my car over heat thnx for looking

hmmm your situation is kind of similar to mine. although my car is only overheating cause the cooling fan decided to take a dump. my CEL comes on while holding RPM's up (during SMOG). i think mine is due to misfire. the CEL goes away after a few minutes of driving.

is your radiator cooling fan working properly?
waterpump?

sydrew

i didnt check on that yet but did u figure yours out yet if u did let me kno wat u did for your symtom thnx man

fivestardsm

Are you doing a key on engine off test, or a key on engine running test. If you aren't doing a test while you have the check engine light,(i.e. engine running) you need to.

Hertz

Staff member
Quoting sydrew:
i need help on why is my car is over heating when my cel comes on i pull the code the old fashion way and the multi meter needle just keep on sweeping saying it a code 1 but i drive it for awhile and the cel well go off and everything back to normal and i change a new thermostat too so well a faulty ecu make my car over heat thnx for looking

The ECU cannot cause an overheating condition. The check engine light is probably coming on because of something, not causing it. The cooling system is mostly mechanical, with the exception of the cooling fans.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned