The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

To JDM fender or not to JDM fender?

I've had a pair of JDM fenders for a while now, and I just can't decide whether or not to put them on. They aren't in perfect shape, which means they'll look perfectly at home on my car. I'm pretty sure the lights don't work. But they are nile black, so atleast they'll match the car. I really haven't seen them on any galants either. Any one got pics of these installed? Thanks guys.

turbowop

That's one of the few JDM parts I don't really care for. I don' think they look bad, I'm just not really into the fender lights. I like smooth and swoopy, and lights sticking up on the top of the fender detract from that a bit.

fuel

if it's the factory paint on the JDM guards it wont be 'nile black', it will be 'black carbon'.

put em on! then you can send me your old fenders! Mine are more wrinkly than Betty White's cooch.

Quoting fuel:
if it's the factory paint on the JDM guards it wont be 'nile black', it will be 'black carbon'.

You're talking about the cladding that goes on the right behind the tire on the lower part of the fender right? I have to reuse my original ones anyway. The JDM fenders are without. As for shipping off my old fenders, trust me, you'd open the box and be very disappointed in your purchase.

SouthCaliVR4

no he's poking fun, the color is the same but the name is different /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

SouthCaliVR4

Ohh, you mean the cladding... I may be wrong, wouldnt be the first time, unfortunatly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Nate

The Maroon Car has them, and the lights do look kinda cool when they're lit, but you will get tired of the questions quickly. Only someone who gives a sh*t about JDM stuff will care that the car even has them, and god forbid I ever have problems with the lights themselves; I'll end up stuck with a "speed hole" in my fenders.

fuel

so the difference between your fenders and a 'JDM' fender is the 'JDM' fender has the holes and the guard lights on the top edge? As far as I know the cladding is exactly the same between USDM and JDM, unless you're talking about non-VR-4 JDM base models which often don't have the cladding, but instead just a smaller trim strip instead?

BoostedAWD91

Put them on, I have the fender lights for my car, just haven't installed them yet, or ill take the fenders if u don't want them

Last edited:

Quoting fuel:
so the difference between your fenders and a 'JDM' fender is the 'JDM' fender has the holes and the guard lights on the top edge? As far as I know the cladding is exactly the same between USDM and JDM, unless you're talking about non-VR-4 JDM base models which often don't have the cladding, but instead just a smaller trim strip instead?

I'm confused with what exactly it is that you are asking. My JDM fenders have the lights on the top edge near the front of the car, but I don't know what you mean by "guards". My fenders are original vr4 fenders, the cladding just isn't there. I have to take the cladding off of mine and put it onto the JDM's.

fuel

guard = fender. Sorry sometimes I forget to ensure the correct terminology is used for different countries.

one of the posts above suggested there was a difference between JDM and USDM regarding the cladding.

I decided to put them on. I'm actually happier than I thought I'd be. However, they were repainted at one point or my paint is faded much worse than I expected. Either way, the color is off. It is close, but no cigar. One thing that I didn't realize though, is that they are without the pin striping. I never did like the pin stripe, so, what's the best way to remove it?

fuel

^^ or could it be, that Nile Black on the USDM models is NOT the same as the Carbon Black on the JDM models? shock horror /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I find if you use a heat gun and a new razor very carefully to lift up an edge enough to pull, and then take your time with the heat gun pulling the rest off works well. You'll need to do a bit of a polish of the area afterwards to blend in the different rates of paint fade and the built up muck around the edges of the pin striping.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned