The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Question about wiring in JDM fog lights

GSTwithPSI

While the bumper is off, I'm rewiring every light in the front of 1837. The car has JDM fog lights, and has the factory switch on the dash to activate them which works great. I have 2 questions regarding this setup:

First, I am wanting to activate the fog lights independently of the headlight switch. The fog light harness only becomes hot after the headlights are activated. I want the factory fog light switch to turn on the fog lights even when my headlights aren't on. I know I should pull up a diagram and do the research, but I was hoping one of you guys has already done this, and can give me the quick version.

Second, how do you guys have your JDM fogs wired up? The JDM fog has 2 lamps, whereas the UDSM fog has only 1 lamp. There are 2 wires (1 ground, 1 hot) on the factory fog light harness. Do most of you guys just wire the 2 JDM lamps together and have them come on together? Or, do you activate them separately? Thanks!

BENE38A

i did no wiring on mine they came working but the switch on mine activates the outer bulb then when i high beam it turns on the inside lense

fuel

The facelift JDM lamps essentially run in parallel to the main headlamps - that is the outer beams of the fogs will come on when the headlamps are on dipped position, while the inner beams will only come one with the main headlamps on full beam. The only difference is the outer beams of the fogs will turn off when the inner beams are on. You don't want both beams to be running at the same time, especially if your headlamps are on dipped position because the inner fog beams are aimed higher and will most likely dazzle or blind oncoming traffic at night.

Personally myself as the USDM car isn't used to having a higher current draw on the fog circuit, I would rewire it with a pair of relays - one for each pair of beams. The low beam relay will be triggered by the factory fog lamp switch output while the inner beam relay will be triggered by a feed run off one of the inner headlamp beams. I would then rewire the foglamp switch so it will allow the fogs to be on independent of the headlamps. On the JDM cars, pressing the fog lamp switch with the headlamps off turns on the outer fog lamp beams (regardless if the headlamps are set to dip or high beam) along with the parking lamp circuit (so the 'city' lamps inside the main headlamps cluster and the tail lamps too). If the headlamps are then further switched on the fogs will either stay on with the outer beams if the headlamps are dipped or switch to the inner beams if the headlamps are on full beam.

Pre-facelift JDM (ie with the combination fogs/turn signals) operate just like the USDM fogs apart from also being turned on without headlamps being on.

misterfixit

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned