The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tire Wear Problem

GSX_TC

Anybody ever have a problem with the front tires wearing out on the outside extremely quick? My last set's steel belts were coming out so I threw on 2 new ones and two weeks later same problem the outsides are so worn that you can see the plys. There doesn't appear to be an allignment problem, could this be a camber problem? If so, how do I fix this?

Thanks
Mike

maroonmetallic

Camber& caster adjustment is part of an alignment. Abnormal wear can be the result of either being out of spec.
Hence, needing an alignment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Additionally, just because the car drives straight down the road, doesnt necessarily mean that it isn't crab-walking or the tire toe-in/toe-out isnt wrong. Id get the alignment checked & go from there.

-Shawn

GSX_TC

Ok good to go, thanks man.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Likely a toe adjustment problem.

GSX_TC

A toe adjustment is done with an alignment?

turbofonz

Yes, toe is the key part of an alignment. Toe being slightly out on top of camber issues is likely the cause of outer tire wear.

maroonmetallic

I'd check to see if the triangle brace is on your car.
It mounts to the subframe between the passenger wheel & the transmission.

If it's not there, I would look for subframe stress cracking!

GSX_TC

why wouldnt it be there?

SouthCaliVR4

I still do some pick up work for my old shop in Vista on Saturdays. If you'd like to bring it in for a proper alignment I can do it personally, that way you know the guy doing it will know how to do a vr4. probably run you about a c note. pm me if you are interested.

GSX_TC

Pm sent

belize1334

Caster will affect stability but does not affect the shape or orientation of the contact patch so it will not cause abnormal tire wear. Camber causes the tire to ride heavier on the inside shoulder so the tire will wear faster there. But if you think of it in terms of putting more weight on that section of the tire, we're talking maybe halving the life-span of the tire... not cutting it down to nothing. If you're wearing out tires over the course of weeks instead of years then it's because the tire is being dragged along the road. Think cheese grater. It's toe that's doing it since the tire is pointed one way but traveling another and thus skidding down the road.

But, it's very important to remember that changing caster or camber will subsequently cause the toe to change so while the camber/caster setting won't appreciably affect wear, altering either without getting the toe realigned will kill tires in a hurry!

Last edited:

GSX_TC

I'm sure any reputable shop does the camber then toe for an alignment right?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Toe should always be the last adjustment. that said, "reputable" can be hard to find. I had a shop that twice could not align my lowered 2g, despite their claims of the best equipment and best alignment guy. Finally had to do it at home in the driveway to stop my tire wear issues.

GSX_TC

I hope SouthcaliVR4 can do it right the first time.

GSX_TC

Tv repair tools?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned