The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tire Clearance: How close is too close?

mooserage

Staff member
I got my new tires mounted on the new rims, but after test fitting I'm not sure how close I am allowed to get to the strut body. They spin freely, but I can't get my fingers in between the space of the tire sidewall and strut. And, i know it won't move any closer unless my hub breaks away from the strut. I picked up some spacers, but don't want to use them unless its absolutely necessary. So, too close? or I'm just a worrysome pansy? Thanks.
-shamus

2of9

what's your tire size? pics would help. I've had 225-45-17 tires on the galant and it was about 1/4 or so to the struts in the rear. on the fronts...it was close. my rims were +47 offset.

2of9

also, get some chalk and chalk your side walls just to see if it's rubbing also. should be fine though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mooserage

Staff member
Cool, I feel like it will be fine too, but wanted to make sure. I'll try the chalk out, pink should show nicely /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif
Thanks guys,
-shamus

turbowop

I thought chalk was used by autocrossers to see how far over their tires were rolling while turning? If the tire rubs on anything, you'll know by the rub marks, not by the chalk marks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

belize1334

What kind of tire is it? I'm interested to see how this turns out. I would love to run a set of 235s on my -40 rims but if you don't clear on -38 then it's a no go.

turbofonz

Same size and offset on my Evo wheels. When I had AGX's on my 1g (should still be the same), it was very close but never rubbed. If you lower it a bit though, watch out for front fender-to-tire contact.

belize1334

Remember that not all tires have the same section width for a given size. That's why I'm interested to know exactly what tire you're running.

mooserage

Staff member
Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 235/45/17XL 97Y
U.T.Q.G. 280/AA/A
Measuring Rim: 8.0
Rim Width Range: 7.5-9.0
Max Air: 50
Max Load: 1,609
Overall Diameter: 25.4
Section Width: 9.3
Tread Width: 8.1
Tread Depth: 10.0
Revs per mile: 819
Sidewall Type: VSB

hanhz9.ang.jpg

mooserage

Staff member
I apologize for taking so long to finish this thread, but I have good news! With the exception of the tires touching the inside of the fender at full lock, the wheel and tire combo fits great. It clears the arms and strut bodies/springs in the front and back just fine, and sits pretty close to flush in the wheels wells. Just a reminder the setup is 17x7.5 +38 With the Hankooks listed above, which I like a whole lot so far. They are nice and sticky and I really like the driveability of the 45 sidewalls. They are nice and firm under hard driving, but not too hard on bumps or thin enough to bend a rim on every pothole. Hope this helps someone in the future, thanks for the help guys.
-shamus

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned