The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

timing belt kit

I just did another timing belt replacement today, this time on the VR-4. I have been working on single and dual OH cam engines for 30 years. I have always used OEM belts and NEVER had one break. Replacing these belts is a several hour job and I don't want to re-experience the fun just because I went cheep and I really don't enjoy re-doing an engine that was perfectly good one micro-second before the timing belt broke. Pay the extra money, at least for the two belts and sleep well.

pachood_1953

I got that kit, and when I recieved it, I decided not to use it. I went all OEM and compared the junk to the good stuff, and Im glad I didnt throw that on my precious motor. To me, its not worth the money, or work involved to swap a head just for cheaping out.

And hey, I happen to have an extra NEW OEM timing belt, balance shaft belt, and tensioner laying around I will give you a good deal on if your interested.

ggsxkid

Quote:
I just did another timing belt replacement today, this time on the VR-4. I have been working on single and dual OH cam engines for 30 years. I have always used OEM belts and NEVER had one break. Replacing these belts is a several hour job and I don't want to re-experience the fun just because I went cheep and I really don't enjoy re-doing an engine that was perfectly good one micro-second before the timing belt broke. Pay the extra money, at least for the two belts and sleep well.

it may call for 7 hours but if you have been doing it for 30 years and it still takes you 7 hours.... i maybe had done my t belt 4 or 5 times prior and the last time i did it, it took me 45 min with air and only using a jack and a stand (as opposed to using a lift). if its you first time it will might take you 7 hours or more to do it depending on whether or not you have access to air tools a compressor and a lift but after a few times you know exactly all the tools you will need to do the job and how to do it all with quickness. now your first time it probly will take 7 hours or more depending on whether or not you have access only reason i say this is his post made it seem like doing a t belt is so scary, if you have all the info you need to know on how to do it and you will be just fine. its posts where people say they "don't want to re-experience the fun" when half this board gets scared and won't do it on ther own. im almost 20 and probly have 11 yr's experience of tinkering/working on cars.

Last edited:

boostedinaz

I don't get the "I am faster at X work that you are" mentality. Just because it is done faster doesn't mean it was done better. Doing something quickly usually leads to things being overlooked.

Could I knock out a timing belt job in less than an hour, sure, but what is the benefit to anyone? The one I just did took me about 4 hours but I tripple checked eveything, cleand up parts I don't usually have access to, and generally look over the car. So while I can't beat my chest proudly and win some non existing title, I do know that my car is in perfect working order and spotless.

ggsxkid

ok yes i guess i did come on really strong with that mentality. but it looks to me like he's a mechanic and speed is money. say you get 3 t belt jobs to do and it calls for 7 hours if you can knock em out in an hour each or even 2 that means at most you did them all in 6 hours and you still have 2 hrs of your 8 hr day to spare but you made 21 hours in that 6 hour time period. the whole i can do it faster wasn't directed towards EVERYONE. yes if it was my gvr4 which is not my daily driver and is my toy in which it does not matter if i get it running or not. yes i would clean the front cover of all the dirt and grime ther (like i did), yes i would go slow. but when its your daily driver and your doing your t belt on your lunch break while working as a porter at a dealership well ya kinda have to do things a lil faster and tend to not worry about all the dirt and nasty stuff thats on the side of the motor. i also made that post at like 12 at night and wasn't thinking to right, i had just gotten back from bowling my best game ever so i did feel pretty high and mighty.

Last edited:

speedyvr4

lol. I guess I can take something good out of buying that kit. I can't do the whole job in an hour, but I can have it apart in an hour. If I'm doing the water pump and BS belt it takes me about 4 hrs, but or else I can have it done in about 3 hrs. The timing belt job in the 4g63 isn't dificult and anyone with a mechanical understanding can do it. again, the job isn't dificult, but it is critical, thats why some of the people on this board are scared to do it. The first time I did it it took me the whole day, I think I took like 8-9 hours to do it. Point is, to the op, Buy good parts, and do the job once right.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned