The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Timing belt ?

My timing belt has good tension, but it's swaying on the gears to the point where it rubs on the cover by the head. I replaced the belt and tensioners and they all have about 5 miles on them. So before I run out and buy more new stuff do you guys think in missed something in setting up the timing belt or did I just get a bad tensioner. By the way car runs fine just going to kill the belt in no time.

donkeylips

So you replaced the belt, the 2 pulleys, and the hydraulic tensioner? Did you use OEM or aftermarket parts?

Hydro tensioner was OEM every thing else was after market.

Last edited by a moderator:

When it comes to timing components, IMO, always go OEM. Unless your splurging for the gates or the HKS

brisvr4

How is the crank bolt? If it's even a litle bit loose it will cause the belt to walk around.

marvinmadman

Maybe forgot to put the little washer/guide on the crank? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I'll check the bolt if it tight I'll see if the washer there. I remember when putting everything on (its been a few months now) that the pulleys had little lips on them I put them toward the block because it looked right, could those be on the wrong way.

4wheelsqueal

Could have do the same thing I did. You have to rotate the blue idler with the off-center bolt to a certain spot or there will be too much slack in the belt. When I get mine done, will let you know how I did it but pretty sure that's the problem.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned