The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Timimg with CAS and a timing light

Number996

Hey guys, great news; rewired missing plug from harness to give ecu power and she turned right over. My issue now is as follows;

Engine turned over fine, fired maybe once per cylinder then died. So accounting for compression, fuel, and spark, i then moved onto timing.
The further i advanved the timing (moving CAS clockwise when lookig at it) the closer the engine got to starting and idling. The engine finally started, held a shaky idle when timing was fully advanced and a friend clocked the engine with a light gun at what he guessed look like 15* BTDC. I knew this wasn't right. SO, i depressed the timing fully (all the way counter clockwise when looking at the CAS) and went to investigate the idle screw. The idle screw was in all the way and i assumed this was also incorrect. I proceeded to unscrew the idle screw about two full turns, left timing fully depressed, and started the engine. She started and idled alot better, but there was still some fuel coming out of the tail pipe so i shut her down before attempting to time her with the timig gun and went to bed because it was late.

I'm going to try to time her again after work. My homework is indicating our engines like 5*BTDC, is this accurate?

My biggest concern is if i did any damage to the engine starting her with idle screw all the way in and timing fully advanved for less than maybe 5 min? And again with timing fully depressed for another 5 min? There was also ALOT of fumes and white smoke from exhaust manifold but i think thats prob something simple i can figure out myself.

Thanks guys! Almost there

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned