The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bad CAS or timing off?

2of9

I replaced the spark plugs only and it sounded like it had 272s. I turned it off and turned it back on and it idled fine. Once it warmed up, it started to not idle very well. Giving it a rev to 2k, it started stuttering and sounded like a consistent misfire. While warming up, it didn't want to stay on idle and sometimes it just dies immediately. CEL is on but I have no clue of how to check it. This happened when I switched from Link to my OLD ecu chip, the technomotive chip, just to see if it'd be fixed but it wasn't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I forgot to record the code when I took out Link but IIRC it was something with the crankshaft xxx sensor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
But, even in Link, it was having the same issues. When Link was in, I NEVER brought it into boost. All I did in Link was set Dead Time and Global fuel to the correct values and zero'd everything else. The mas was automatically corrected. I'm just a bit scared that it might have skipped timing a bit but confused on how it did it when it's never been in boost and it's only seen vacuum.

So, I'm just hoping it's the CAS and not the timing that's skipping or off. Any input would help greatly. I will try to post up a video the idle.

cliff notes
- idles fine until warm-up
- not keeping idle. after warm-up, car dies.
- free-revving to 2k, it sounds like a consistent misfire
- replaced spark plugs and still the same issue.
- took Link out and replaced it with old chip, same issue.

jepherz

Staff member
Rather than guessing, check the code? If you have a spare CAS, swap it in. If not, check your timing belt timing.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts