The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Thinking of getting Cyclone Manifold

tsitalon1

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of obtaining a Cyclone manifold. As I understand it, it can produce 30-40ft/lbs from 3k-4k and the added torque would be welcomed on my Evo3-16g with 7.8:1 compression.

This is what I think I need to make it work:

Manifold
Canister
ECMlink
Actuator

Am I missing anything else?

Also, will this work with a 2g head? **Correction*** I have a 1g 7-bolt head

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

There is no way it makes 30ft/lbs more torque. The ports are different on a 2g head, so it won't work.

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

His post says 40ft/lbs more, but when I look at the graph I only see 20ft/lbs more. Plus its only for 500 rpms from 3.5-4k. The rest looks more like a 10-15ft/lb gain. Maybe I'm looking at something wrong.

I wasn't disputing there were gains, 40lbs just seems like a high number for a 16g sized turbo. I'm still learning though.

Last edited:

tsitalon1

I see 30ft/lbs at 3300. (I don't know what turbo he was runnig though)

overall I see significant gains from 3000-4100rpm. For a $100 mod, this seems well worth it.

Still need someone to answer my original questions on required items and 2g head compatibility.

Last edited:

James

I don't believe a 2g head can me made to work, within reason.

tsitalon1

Sorry, I don't know why I thought I had a 2g head.

Correction, I have a 1g 7-bolt head (smaller head bolt holes that were enlarged)

Editing OP..

tsitalon1

Manifold on its way.

What else do I need to make it work properly?

Canister
ECMlink
Actuator

Am I missing anything else?

cheekychimp

Quoting LIV4PSI:
The ports are different on a 2g head, so it won't work.

Quoting James:
I don't believe a 2g head can me made to work, within reason.

Moot point now perhaps, but it can be done and it works well in my opinion. I'm running the Cyclone Manifold on an EVO III head in my grey car.

Also, I'm not trying to be a dick but you don't actually need ECMLink to activate the Cyclone. You do realize that right? I mean ECMLink is great in its own right as a tuning tool and if you are already intending to install it then yes it makes perfect sense to use it to activate the Cyclone butterflies. But if you don't need ECMLink for anything else or were not originally intending to install it then it's a ridiculously expensive box of sparks to buy just for that purpose.

In about two posts you are going to get a whole load of advice telling you why you should activate the butterflies off a boost reference or an rpm reference. Personally, I think the thing should be activated off the MAF by a hertz airflow reference but I'm too dumb to figure that out. What I do know is that you can make it work using the actuator off a blown 14B turbo that you or one of your friends probably has sitting on a shelf or from a $20 rpm switch.

Last edited:

tsitalon1

Hey Cheeky,

No problem, I already have ECMLink. I was only listing all the parts I thought I need in my possesion to make it all work seamlessly.

So I have the cyclone manifold coming, and I currently am running a 1g 7-bolt head (head bolt holes enlarged).

I was told the manifold I ordered does come with the actuator, so what else do I need? Do I need the vac canister? What would I use in EcmLink to activate the butterflies?

Did you see a fairly large jump in tq from 2.5-4k?

cheekychimp

You will need the vac canister as if I recall correctly the butterflies are closed under vacuum so without it you would be running with the secondaries open all the time which defeats the object.

I don't have ECMLink so I can't really comment on that version but I believe you can activate this through the nitrous controls if you aren't running nitrous and don't need that function.

As for the torque thing, I'm not sure. All my E39As were JDM cars and came with the cyclone, so I've never driven a non-cyclone car. However when some VR4 owners from the States visited they said the low to mid-range was noticeably different with the cyclone. I don't know if you will see 20 ft/lbs of torque or more but I am sure you will notice the difference.

Paul.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned