The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Thicker head gasket

TylerAdamson

I'm pretty sure that at one time you could get the HKS head gaskets in different thicknesses. Not sure if that's still the case though.

Struc

Cometic comes in all sorts of thicknesses

JNR

Just remember that a thicker head gasket will lower your compression, if that's a concern...Don't know the formula off the top of my head, but sure it's out there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kenny_Kline

Quoting Garfield Wright:
What's your motor setup?

Head is at its survice limit, BC 272s, +1mm oversized valves, 1G pistons, 1G rods, 2G head. I have a 4layer MLS on and valves are just touching.

I actually found a Cometic .061 MLS head gasket. I think I am going to run that. Not sure yet. They also make a .07X. I have to measure the piston to valve clearnace and go from there. .054 isnt enough. I have little tiny dings on all my pistons (fresh marks) but valves are still good.

Cometic seems to be my best route.

Brianawd

Clay the pistons so you can measure how much more clearance you need.

Or just find a new head that has never been machined. That way you know your good

Last edited:

Cometic should be a last resort which I think thats where you are now. Unless the block & head are PERFECTLY flat, it's going to push water. I was going to recommend the same as Brian but I'm sure you just dumped some money on that head. Member 630 is selling a really nice 2g head. I'd recommend you pick that up but find out some more specs on it so you don't have the same problem.

Kenny_Kline

My head has alot of machine work in it. Over sized valves, seats cut to fit, bowls blended into seats, extensice exhaust port work, combustion chamber clean up, drilled head stud holes, bronze valve guides, new cam seals, BC 272 cams, revised lifters, BC springs/titanuim retainers, new valve seals...

I spent alot of time and money on this head. If I were to do it again, it would be cheaper to swap to a good 2G head core and re-do everything.

I talked to Cometic this morning. They said they have what I need all the way up to .150". I will probably need a .06X-.07X and will know for sure when I measure the piston to valve clearance. Cometic said they redisgned there gaskets. 5 Layer with viton rubber seals on both sides of gasket like the 4layer MLS from Mitsu.

I just had the head resurfaced pefrect finish 200 miles ago. I will check it out. The block I am going to have resurfaced. Going to try and run a Cometic 5 layer with a coating of copper spray. I may ditch the ARP head studs. Will will see what happens.

prove_it

I'd stick with the arp's, that way you can reuse them when your checking your clearances. Also they will hold up way better. I'd call AMS and see what they recommend as far as gasket thickness. They should be able to give you a ballpark number.

Brianawd

why would you put all the money into a head that can no longer be milled. Seems like a big waste of money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

THEKID

check this out see if it will work for you clicky it comes in all thicknesses

bazeng

Tomei have the thickest from what I know.

1.8mm

HKS have the 1.6mm
Cometic have the 1.2mm (used to have the 1.6mm but for some reason I can't find them anymore)

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned