The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Mitsu MLS headgasket blocks off cooling passages?

Kenny_Kline

The OEM Mitsu MLS head gasket I ordered seems to line up fine but blocks off alot of cooling passages. The head in question is a 2G head and the Gasket claims to fit 90-99.

I have circled the holes that get blocked off by the gasket.

DSC05357-1.jpg

ktmrider

IIRC there was a change in the head coolant passage design/location when they went 7 bolt ( Tooners or RRE will have more tho ).
Edit, just checked the RRE site and found this: click
Either way the 90-92.5 6 bolt head has different size bolts so the 90-99 description sounds like that gasket is NT...

Last edited:

ktmrider

Quoting :
What does that have to do with anything?

Here we go again.
READ the RRE thread again ( different coolant passages between head and block for your coolant hole mis-alignment on 92.5+ 7 bolt engines ) and that 90-99 NT heads are all the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenny_Kline

Name calling is not needed...

I read that website way back in the day when I did a 1G head swap onto a 2G block. Even though I didn't need to read it again, I did anyways to see what your talking about and still, I don't understand what your trying to point out so whatever it is, it has nothing to do with what I am questioning.

These holes are going to block off the passages in the head. My block doesn't have these passage either. Blocking off these passages on a 2G head, is this going to cause any issue with cooling circulation?

Kenny_Kline

And the head gasket is part number MD349347 both on my invoice and on the gasket packaging sealed from Mitsubishi which cover both the 6bolt and 7bolt motors. Head gaskets do not change style between NT and T

cOmpressor

Quoting krkline2gdsm:
My block doesn't have these passage either.

Well it wouldn't matter if you welded them shut in that case /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Kenny_Kline

Well the thing is, my 6bolt head doesn't have the passages so there is no coolant passages that run there.

Forget the gasket issue. Swapping a 2G head onto a 6bolt block should be a straight shot other than enlarging the bolt holes 1mm but will I have any cooling issues with the 2G head having passages and the 1G block doesn't?

Now bringing the gasket issue back up... lets say someone were to run a Mitsu MLS gasket on a 7 bolt motor with a 7 bolt head. What happens when they block off the cooling passages on that motor with this head gasket???

turbowop

I just dug up some old pics from when I pulled the head off 1051 and had it redone. My head has those passages, my block doesn't. I run an MLS gasket and have no issues.

These pics are from 2003 and the car is still running fine. Never had a cooling issue.

Last edited:

Hondasi88

I need to buy a headgasket.....how much did it run you? and did you buy it from your local parts dealer?

1badgvr4

MD349347 is the part #.Call your local dealer and they should hook you up.Its about 100 bucks.

ktmrider

Quoting krkline2gdsm:
Name calling is not needed...

I read that website way back in the day when I did a 1G head swap onto a 2G block. Even though I didn't need to read it again, I did anyways to see what your talking about and still, I don't understand what your trying to point out so whatever it is, it has nothing to do with what I am questioning.

These holes are going to block off the passages in the head. My block doesn't have these passage either. Blocking off these passages on a 2G head, is this going to cause any issue with cooling circulation?

Fair enough.
I mis-interpreted your original question ( "Why are these coolant passages blocked" in reference to your swapping a 2g head onto a 1g car ). RRE site states the head coolant passages were modified for better cooling on the 7 bolt engines.
I also verified via CAPS that the 90-99 4g63T engines take the same gasket so no worries there ( I found MD183808 tho compared to the previous post ).
Since I have mis-interpreted your questions 2x now ( and taken offense to your ??? replies both times ) I better just leave my info and opinions to mineself in the future.
Peace out, GL with your head swap.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts