The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Engine build and head gasket questions

147/1000

Both my head and block are copper O-ringed. From what i read, I have to run a copper head gasket with it. I found the copper head gasket on summit racing. They have two different thicknesses. I am already running low compression(8.5:1) so i am guessing that i need the thinner of the two. My engine is a AMS built 2.3l and a Buscher stage 3 head.

I just want to know your opinion on what head gasket i should get. Also, What do you think about running both the head and block with O-rings?

I am putting my engine back together and i have alot of questions. So there will be more to come.

I also have an AMS block that has a copper o-ringed deck. My head is not ringed though. I am in the process of building my engine as well. I too have some questions regarding that. But from what i understand you only run a copper head gasket when running STEEL (stainless) rings in the block and or head.

I just plan on using my Mitsu 4 layer steel head gasket on top of my copper ringed block. The couple people i've talked to agree. But i'm thinking bout giving AMS a call just to clarify. Hopefully somebody can help the both of us.

belize1334

Depending on your power goals I've heard of people running an OEM fiber head hasket with an o-ringed block. Seals better than stock (especially with ARP head studs) and isn't as tricky as a metal HG. I've never done it myself, but I've heard of it.

prove_it

I'd call ams and your head source and make sure that the deck and head weren't cut too much. If they have been cut deeply you'll want a thicker gasket. I using a cometic thin gasket and 8.3:1 pistons but since the gasket is thin and the head was cut I'll end up around 8.6:1 to 8.8:1.
putting o ring sealing surfaces are great. they hold way better.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned