The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Surge tank question

CarRacer

I'm trying to plan out a surge tank setup.

We have a 22 gallon fuel cell and I'm worried about the pickup starving under prolonged cornering, so a surge tank is the logical solution. Turbo will be a 13g at stock boost, so there aren't any really big fuel concerns. I'm trying to determine if the feeder pump I'm looking to put between the fuel cell and surge tank will be enough. The car will be a road racer and one of the tracks we go to has a straight away that is about 45-60 seconds long of wot. The high pressure pump will be a walbro 255 and I'm running 750cc injectors. I'm hoping you guys can tell me if the feeder pump can handle filling the surge tank with that requirement.

Cliffs: Can a 42gph, 4psi pump supply a surge tank with a 13g turbo at 8psi under sustained wot?

curtis

To lazy to do math right now but if you have 750 x 4 injectors thats 3000cc at 100% duty you need to figure what they'll spit out max and if the 255 in a perfect world does 255 an hr covert to gallons and make sure the pump covers supply pump covers that and your fine.

As for tanks I'm running one a picked up at a swap meet a few years ago. its like the link below but 36inches long. All I'll have to do is machine off an area on top and have an exit going back to the cell Just welding on a -6 bung. figured it might cool the fuel a little plus takes up no room under the car and makes buying lines a few feet cheaper. I didn't pay the cost below. Most swap meets have these from 30 to 75 bucks.

click me might be more on ebay cheaper thsi was the first I saw.

3rdstrikedsm

Damn 400.00 for that? I am in the wrong business! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

CarRacer

Yeah, I'm big time space limited. I looked at a surge tank from CX Racing, this one, but it will sit too low on our Chevette. It sits lower than the cell and I'm worried we'll hit the fittings on something.

I don't think I'll max out the 750s in any shape or form on the 13g. How is the best way to calculate fuel flow based on the turbo? Also, I'm basically trying to actively not make power on this setup. I'm trying to make 175whp when I'm done, if I make any more I'll nuke the rear end in the Chevette.

Appreciate the help.

CarRacer

Alright, I crunched the numbers. I wanted to figure out how much fuel the turbo would need. This website had a lot of good info for figuring this stuff out.

The 13g turbo is rated at 340cfm. To figure out the fuel consumption required we need to convert to lb/min. The conversion is 144.71cfm/10lbmin according to the above site. Then multiply by 60 to get lb/hr and we end up with 1409lb/hr. I then plugged in a guesstimate air/fuel ratio of 11:1 and got 128lb/hr of fuel usage at max flow. Convert to lb/min and get 23.5. Convert that to cc/min and get 1344 which I used to convert to gallons a minute. Ended up at .335 gallons a minute which is 21.3 gallons per hour.

So at 340cfm the 13g turbo uses 21.3gph of fuel if I did everything correctly. Which means my 43gph low pressure pump will be enough. I'm worried that the 750cc injectors will be too big now because I only need 336cc of fuel which means my duty cycle will be pretty low.

TRBODSM

Here's a custom one going on a 800whp+ Evo 8.
2a3f99f8.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts