The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The new 1902

dsmtalontsi95

I bought/saved this car last year, it had sat for 5+ years. When I bought the car it wasn't running. I put an ecu in it and started right up. I installed an ets fmic, 3" exhaust, and an act 2600. While doing the clutch I found crank walk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif. So the car sat till I could work on it. It sat for a while and when I went to start it the fuel pump wouldn't come on till I was done cranking the motor (I think that ecu fried too). Well I started on it thursday by pulling the motor out. I took a spare block to the machine shop to be cleaned, also took a set of 1g rods and evo 9 pistons. The plan with this build is to use parts I have from left over builds. I just took the
HX-35 to the max on my 2g (11.4 at 125 on 93), so that more then likely will make the galant it's new home but I'm not positive yet since I don't have the injectors to support it. I have an afc 2 but I'm torn to step up to dsmlink. Anyway here is the progress and pix to show you all what I'm working with.
Side view

Rear

Little bit of rust on the rear power stearing lines

Gauge options. I'm thinking either the afc in the ecs pod or oil pressure and w/b (with the black faced gauges to keep the same syle as the boost)

I don't know why this wire was cut?

Old motor out

So I will keep this updated as the build goes on. I should have the bottom end back together next week and hopefully put the whole motor together.

Last edited:

GIjoe

You need a new bumper

dsmtalontsi95

Yea I know. Thats why I didn't take a pic of the front. ha ha

Tre3zy

cool!!! good luck with the build /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dsmtalontsi95

Thanks I want to document everything with this build, before I just built the cars and no pictures of them.

dsmtalontsi95

Started putting the new motor together. I put in the crank with ARP mains and pistons with ARP rod bolts in. Installed the arp head studs and set the head on top. Couldn't torque it down because my friend for got his bigger wrench.

On a side note what is the smallest AN fitting you would use for coolent? I want to delete that water pipe in the front and use Stainless lines for the coolent inlet and outlets.

Bonezilla

I used -16...I know others have used bigger but I think -16 is plenty big.

dsmtalontsi95

Did some work tonight, oil pump, head, intake manifold, and fuel rail installed today.

I need to paint the block again

Ok so I took a micrometer to the fittings I have and came up with 15.5 mm inside diameter. Does anyone know what AN that is?

Last edited:

dsmtalontsi95

BAHH I striped the front cover where the sump bolts up. GRRR So I need to helicoil that and I just got my wisdom teeth pulled so it may be a while till I get back out there. On a side note what is the silver box on the fire wall under the bcs? It's about 4 inches long and an inch or so high.

KiNgMaRtY

Nice to hear that you saved a VR-4. GL with the build. Those HX-35's really make some nice power.

dsmtalontsi95

Started back up on it today, paint is drying on the accessory's. I'll post up when I get the stuff bolted on. Does anyone know the details on a/c conversion.

Last edited:

dsmtalontsi95

Ok so the motor is 90% done. I need to bolt on the top timing cover, valve cover, oil sump needs to be fixed, oil pan, and the A/C. Here is a pic of where I'm at so far. Do you guys like the black cover or should I stick with the red?

Last edited:

dsmtalontsi95

Been a long time but I got the motor in.

I have the suspension put together. Only thing left is to put the IC pipes in, slave cylider, dsmlink/ecu, and drop a battery in to get it started. I had to cut and turn the wastegate setup to fit. I'll take a pic when it's back in the car.

dsmtalontsi95

Little more head way. The BOV nipple will need to be moved in the future (It's a beast of a bov). The waste gate setup turned out well but I may need to re-route the dump since it may block the oil filter from being changed.

I need to figure out the placement of the 90 oil cooler and plumb it. Anyone have suggestions as to where?

Last edited:

dsmtalontsi95

Well I have a few connectors that I don't know where they go too. 2 small connectors from the main harness and 2 from the harness at the front (behind the head light).

Also where does the wire come from for the sensor at the bottom of the radiator?

trunks

In the top picture that looks like your speedo connector to the tranny on the left. Not sure about the other. The bottom looks to be for your emissions solenoids if you still have them. I believe the coolant temp sensor on the bottom of the radiators connector is in the same loom as the fan's wiring.

Where did you put your oil cooler?

Edit: maybe that's not for the speedo looking at it closer. Do you have your o2 sensor hooked up?

Last edited:

dsmtalontsi95

I do not have the o2 installed yet but that connector is under the T-stat isn't it? I haven't mounted it yet and still trying to figure that out while I button things up.

What are these "emissions" you speak of?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned