The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The "I can't make up my mind" build.

citymunky

The car is not even running and it's already leaking.
icon20.gif

Anyway Intake and intercooler are done.

Last edited:

citymunky

Quoting 1badgvr4:
Ahh well then your gonna have to get creative, leaks like that piss me off to no end.

I was able to get the thermostat housing to seal using 2 seals from NAPA, without RTV. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But, now my radiator is leaking from a small unseen crack in top end tank.
icon20.gif
. If it's not one thing it's another.

Last edited:

citymunky

Test fit of my intercooler piping.

Spearco intercooler, front bumper crash bar already precut.

My measurements for the lower mounting tab was 1/2" off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif, Now I need to get this thing rewelded.

citymunky

So been working on the car with hope to get her started started soon.

Last weekend I finished up routing the most of my wires for my gauges, EBC and logger cable. (I hate wiring /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif)
Next I prime the oil pump from the OFH since it was not packed with grease.
Next I primed the fuel system and checked for leaks.
Next I did a boost leak test and I couldn't even build past 1 PSI. I had a major leak coming from the TB seal, so I had to order a new one.

For the last few days I been playing with Jackal, and I get got the logger to start working. Now I need to set up the right deadtimes for my PTE 1000cc's injectors.

Hopefully I can get her started tomorrow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

citymunky

So 488 days since starting this project I was able to start my car today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GSX_TC

Haha that's cool how you've been counting the days, Congrats. Bet your feeling pretty happy these days.

citymunky

I didn't count down the days, I just figured out the time by looking at the date of 1st post of this thread.

-Update to the build, I removed my downpipe and I'm have a buddy at word weld up a flange.

Last edited:

citymunky

Well this tread hasn't been updated in while due to LIFE. But now that I'm back from a half deployment I'm going be looking on working on this thing until it's done. At first my goal was to make it a daily driver, but now I'm on leaning to POWER. With my old TD05-20G turbo sold, I now have to find a new bigger turbo and wastegage to fill the hole.

New Goals:

-PAINT!!! Need paint ASAP, I'm going to be paint the car myself, I would love to sent the car on my friends shop at Stock or Modified Bodyworks , but I would end up with a paint job that is worth more that the car itself. (Not a smart option right now since the car is far from running)
-5 lug swap: In the end on the day I will need rims that will clear bigger brakes.
-Brakes: As of now I have 3000GT SL front brakes, but I know those will not be up to par to my driving style.
-ABS: I know most people here HATE ABS, but I'm no Drag racer, so ABS even thought will was shitting design in 1991, will be better than brakes that lock up.
-Wire tuck: Not a crazy VW wire tuck, but enough to clean up the engine bay a little bit.
-3000 GT Trailing Arms: Mainly to get rid of the stock rear brakes and to push out the rear hubs to match the fronts, since the car stock the rear wheels are sunk-in compared to fronts wheels.
-4 Bolt Diff: I have a 3 bolt VLSD now, but I know I will need a 4 bolt and hopefully throw in a EVO 8 rear diff in place of the gay VLSD.

That's just the basic's right now, there is a lot more that I want to do, but that will take time and we'll see what happens.

Last edited:

Jesus_Negros

Glad to see you back at it.

coyotes

I'd ditch the ABS, it isn't gonna work right with your 17s. When you go to a wider, stickier tire however you will have much more braking capacity, I wouldn't worry about locking up your brakes unless you are doing some track events. and if you're locking them up, might be time for even wider, stickier tires.

citymunky

Is ABS ready that bad? I need to find someone local who still have ABS and take there car for a spin.

Jesus_Negros

It usually just doesn't work after all this time.

citymunky

Today was a good day.

Was able to pick up a a few 2g parts for the build.
-Bare 2g, that was mildly ported.
-2g Intake manifold to match my new 2g head
-2g power steering pump, bracket, and P/S Steering pulley to allow for more space to access the lower exhaust manifold nut/stud.

I also picked up a powder coating kit, still need to find a oven.

-In the works for tomorrow is a minty Mitsubishi Valve Cover.

citymunky

Quick update.

I was able to pick up a solid TD05-16G with a OEM O2 housing for a good deal that I couldn't pass up. I also picked up that Mitsubishi diamonds valve cover as a trade for 2g's Talon's VC.
I should be picking up a j-pipe form a local tomorrow. The only hole I have after that is injectors.

Once I get injectors I'm going to try to get the car running and back on the road. If I can get her running right with out any major hiccups, I'm then going to began to start collecting parts for a proper HP build.

Wish me luck.

mitsuturbo

When i saw the title of this thread i figured it must be about jnava.

Looks like i was wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

citymunky

Quote:
When i saw the title of this thread i figured it must be about jnava.

Looks like i was wrong

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Jesus_Negros

Lol

slugsgomoo

Do yourself a favor. Go to a big parking lot, get up to 40-60 and stop as hard as you can. Count the number of parking spaces it takes to stop fully. Pull the ABS fuse and do it again. I found that the difference without the ABS & using threshold braking was significantly better than the ABS on. Face facts, it's two channel diagonal sensing, and very, very slow and stupid compared to modern ABS.

Stops worse? check
Weighs a ton? check
Clutters the engine bay? check

there's a reason the ABS pump from my car is sitting in my garage, not my engine bay. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts