The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

taking off VR4 steering wheel?

Hi guys ok so I started taking off the steering wheel on my vr4
To replace it with a hub and quick release with aftermarket steering wheel...
I got the cover off and also got the horn cover and the center nut in the middle..after that
I'm stuck and it will not come off is there anything else I need to do?
Its my first time attempting this and if anybody has dealt with it please let me know
Step by step on what to do...thank you

GSX_TC

After you get the nut off in the center, it should come right off. Might have to beat it from behind or something.

Thanks bro ill try that when I get home from holiday shopping I'll ask again if I don't get it done

GSX_TC

Welcome man, just whatever u do don't hit it on the threads. When I changed my steering wheel I learned that the hard way lol

SouthCaliVR4

Use a puller, don't hit the column with a hammer. you can buy a cheapo steering wheel puller or a harmonic balancer puller will work too.

bobdole

+2 on using the correct tool for the job. I used a puller to take mine off.

boosted_85

No need for a puller since its the wheel isn't pressed in. Simply tap/hit the outer edgesof the wheel a couple of times and it will come off.

Drew84

Don't hit it, use a puller. You'll need a couple metric screws too to fit into the holes on the wheel.

Thanks guys...it so happens my dad had the tool...i got the old steering wheel off and replaced it with the hub quick release and new steering wheel on as of right now the build for the vr4 is currently going on...will post up the build of 657/2000 this coming months

ronnycordova

I just changed the wheel on my Raider and ended up just using the gorilla method; although a puller makes it a lot easier. The trick to the gorilla method is to leave the bolt on by a few threads so you don't punch yourself in the face when it breaks loose.

524of1000

^ This is how I do it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

BrandonEchols

Quoting ronnycordova:
I just changed the wheel on my Raider and ended up just using the gorilla method; although a puller makes it a lot easier. The trick to the gorilla method is to leave the bolt on by a few threads so you don't punch yourself in the face when it breaks loose.

+ juan on all of this.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned