The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Studdering when in load problem

jepherz

Staff member
I'm looking for suggestions on what to check to diagnose this problem.

It feels like fuel cut and seems to happen when the stock boost gauge gets right around the positive point. The car is 100% stock in terms of the drivetrain, there are no CELs. I drove the car 400 miles yesterday and it started acting up around mile 200 (so well warmed up at that point). The problem got continually worse as I kept driving as well. There is no noticeable problem at very low load or when idling either, and this morning I drove the car to work and it all seemed fine.

I am going to check the plugs/wires today, and possibly swap out coil packs, and Terry is sending me back a few ECUs that should be good to go so I will swap that out as well. Any thoughts on what else may be wrong? I'll take a look at the fuel pump to see if there are any obstructions in the tank, and maybe swap out the fuel filter but I'm not sure what else to try. Maybe it's the MAF or possibly a boost leak that only shows itself when the engine compartment is hot?

On the plus side, since I had to drive the car like it was a hybrid, I was pulling around 26 MPG!

mountaineerjeff

its sounds like a boost leak to me. thats exactly how my cqr behaved when I had a leaking coupler

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned