The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Strange problem with boost

poppin3000

I'm having a weird problem with my car...when I hit 3k rpms it sounds like the turbo is spooling up (it's louder than it was when the car was working properly...and sounds like a leak) but the car won't go past 3000~3100 rpms no matter how far I push the pedal in.

Could it be really severe boost leak? In my experience a boost leak means less power, but not total loss of acceleration. I thought that one of the couplers on the IC side popped off but I checked and that isn't the case.

thanks in advance

SouthCaliVR4

do you have a boost gauge? have you checked the basics, fuel filter, plugs & plug wires? is your exhaust plugged? Also, ENG NOT RUNNING!!!!! pull the intake & make sure your turbo spins freely, there is two different types of oil pump orig & updated. the orig can sound like turbo spooling, which is why I recommend checking the turbo itself.

Poor ignition, stuffed up cat or bad injectors can also cause problems similar to your vague description of the issue.

I agree with southcalivr4. Run through all of the basics first. Also check all of the electrical connections. Ask me why. Also, giant boost leak does fit the description. Maybe also a bad maf sensor. But definitely try to give a better description. It is hard for any one to help if we don't get as much information as possible.

Basics first definitely, as covered by southCali. It sounds like a boost leak,yes! But until you actually go through and test the system, you won't know. Do you have some form of monitering or logging(link, datalogger)?

RedTwo

Turbo induction noise increased? Huge leak stopping/limiting air getting sucked through the air filter/AFM. If you run without an AFM (plumbed up) the car only goes to about 1500 rpm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Check the pipe that goes from the maf sensor to the turbo itself also, make sure it is not ripped or have any holes in it also.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned