The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stock late model EVO struts vs coil overs

bazeng

Hi Guys,

Do our cars with Stock EVO struts feel comfortable?
I'm hoping that my drop to 15" rims and fat tyres will improve my ride comfort.

Currently running HOTBITS D2 coil overs. They are good but I would like complete comfort.
I'm thinking that this is only achievable with a standard strut type setup.

Opinions?

This is for the AMG by the way.

ktmrider

I ran some Bilstein Touring series struts on 86 with stock EVO springs. Absolutely loved the overall ride and feel, would be spot on with a good rear sway.

USDM EVO MR's came with Bilstein boingers, rode in a car with them using Tein H-Tech springs. I'd guess 40% stiffer valving, add in the higher Tein rate and it was firm but "sporty". Felt like a BMW if I had to compare.

I got a good deal on my D2's otherwise I'd have the EVO Bilstein's mounted.

citymunky

Yea a very good deal. LOL. BTW how do you like them? Also how are the roads there?

to the OP, another road you can take is EVO coilovers.

Last edited:

5OF2k

I'd guarantee the EVO setup would be a more "kush" ride than your hotbits, even moreso than they other Ksport/D2/etc setups.

I have D2's on my car now, and they are WAY stiffer than the AGX/GC combo I was running and those were even stiffer than the SE EVO IX and Tein setup I had on prior to that.

IMHO, the best upgrade for our cars suspension-wise for a street driven car is hands down the EVO setup. If you're planning to run track events like autocross or other roadcourse related track events then you'd benefit from sonething with more adjustability like a set of Ksports or D2s, then when you get serious the hotbits or Ohlins. The latter are entirely too stiff for a street car, IMHO.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned