The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

steering rack ?

can anyone tell me whats so beneficial about changing their steering rack for a oem 1g dsm? or for one off a non awd galant? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

throughfaith323

i don't think its really much of a benefit. they do it because when you delete your 4ws you are left with capping off the fluid came from. by switching to a 1g rack you eliminate those. they want to make it like the car was never 4ws as the 1g's were not(deleting the 4ws completely and correctly).

not sure if that is all the reason but i know that somewhat is.

hope that helped.

raptorWagon

1g dsm racks are easier to come by in most cases than a regular 6g galant in junkyards.

belize1334

I have the original rack w/ 4ws removed and the lines capped. The capped lines seal perfectly so there's no reason to swap except that the rack itself is pretty warn out and leaks at the main seals. I found a 1G rack at the junkyard that's in really good condition so I'm eventually gonna swap it in since I don't have 4ws anymore. It's not an upgrade but rather a cheap replacement.

Last edited:

conquesttsi

It's an upgrade in the sense that the provisions for the rear steering lines do not exist on a DSM rack. Since there is nothing to cap off you eliminate the chances for leaks. It also looks cleaner. As stated earlier it's easier to get your hands on a DSM Rack than one for a Galant.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned