The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

galant vr-4 steering rack conversion

gramkrakr89

I've looked for a while but haven't found anything directly addressing this issue, so i though i'd ask.

the 4ws steering rack on my car is shot - the 4ws had been deleted and plugged @ the rack, but now the rack needs replaced...

will a non-4ws rack from a dsm bolt up to the gvr4? (if so, which?)

thanks

gramkrakr89

ok, i believe you - but a dsm tinkerer i know said that they were incompatible, so is there anyone who has actually done this?

TylerAdamson

I just replaced my 4ws rack with a de-powered rack out of my 1g. Everything bolted up just fine and without issue.

TylerAdamson

Just make sure you have both racks centered so won't have to install and remove the replacement rack several times to get the steering wheel straight. Other than that its pretty straight forward.

Struc

If I recall correctly, all the 1G racks will bolt up, but the Automatic cars came with a larger turning radius. Something to do with the automatic trans size.

Last edited:

gramkrakr89

Just had a powered rack from a '90 GSX m/t (that i got for free) installed... "Fits... no leak." hooray! Can't beat those freebies. Thanks guys!!!

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned