The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Steering Rack Boot Torn

It has been like this since I got the car and it cost me a power steering pump. Is this something that I can get a new boot for? What do I do? I hope I don't need to buy a new rack. Any details would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Barnes

How did a torn steering rack boot cost you a power steering pump? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The boots are easy to replace. You have to disconnect the tie rod from the knuckle/hub and then take the tie rod off. Mark where it is before you take it off. That way when you reinstall it, it ends up in the exact same spot and you don't have to get an alignment.

After that you just remove the old boot and clips, and install a new one that you can get from the auto parts store.

The fluid kept leaking out and I ran out of fluid so the power steering pump burnt up.

I have lifetime alignments so I'll use that method. So replacing a boot on a PS pump is an acceptable permanent fix? I am asking because I thought that replacing a boot was just a temporary fix at least on axles (I know that we aren't talking about axles but I have never replaced a boot on either).

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Barnes

Auhhgg! You are talking about two different things. The steering rack boots are only there to keep dust/dirt/water out of the inner tie rod joint. There are seals internal to the rack that contain the power steering fluid. You need to replace the seals in the rack, not the boot. The boot will end up just filling with PS fluid and do nothing for you. I'm not even sure if you can replace those seals with the rack in the car. You might be better served by replacing the whole rack with a rebuilt unit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I just read the same thing that you explained somewhere. I have read that replacing the rack is a monster. It is not a bad leak BTW. Does anyone know if the seals can be replaced independently? Maybe it will be tough to reach them though? Any idea what would happen if the rack fails? I could just continue to replace the fluid and live with the leak if that is feasible unless it is some major safety hazard. I was warned about the leak before I bought the vehicle.

Thanks

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Seal kits are not available from Mitsu anymore. Not sure about aftermarket.

If you want a band-aid, try some stop leak. May work for a while. Personally, I prefer to fix problems.

omertaitalia

just bought a replacement steering boot today, had the axle off and saw that it was no longer even on there. got it from rock auto 13$ shipped

boostedinaz

Quoting blkchr91:
I just read the same thing that you explained somewhere. I have read that replacing the rack is a monster. It is not a bad leak BTW. Does anyone know if the seals can be replaced independently? Maybe it will be tough to reach them though? Any idea what would happen if the rack fails? I could just continue to replace the fluid and live with the leak if that is feasible unless it is some major safety hazard. I was warned about the leak before I bought the vehicle.

Thanks

If you are worried about pulling the rack then you should be worried about rebuilding it as well. It's not terribly hard but it can be a bitch. Find a replacment rack and be done with it.

Please for the love of god fix the problem and don't just poor more fluid in it. These cars are generally though of as pieces of sh*t for that exact mentality.

I need to replace my rack as it has some rust on it and still has some aws lines coming off it, plus I think I might have a torn boot.

It doesn't look that hard. Remove wheels, drop cross members, unbolt tie rods from spindle, drop sway bar, finagle rack out of car. Finagle new rack into position and bolt everything back up. Fill with fluid. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned