The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Power steering delete rear subframe rack question.

ProjectBaby530

Can someone help me with this? I bought my GVr4 with the power steering delete started. The power steering rack has been replaced with a manual one. The pump is gone and so are the main lines to the pump. I have removed most of the lines going to the rear, now my question is... Is it possible to somehow lock the rear steering rack or do I have to swap out the rear subframe. I have one from a 1g GSX but I want to rebuild it. But I'm also trying to finish up the car as soon as possible and swap the subframes at a later time. If this has been discussed or asked already, can I get a link? I tried looking already. Thanks Im new here btw lol.

pot

Staff member
There is no need to remove the Rear Subframe from your vehicle. The only difference between a 1g GSX subframe and a gvr4 subframe are the bolt hole provisions for the gvr4 Rear Steering Rack.

You can remove the Rear Steering Rack or leave it in place.

kumfasa

click

Remove the rear rack and install the 3sx AWS delete kit. It has adjustable arms to lock the rear trailing arms in place and a welsh plug for the diff where the pump comes out.

Can be done with subframe in car but it’s not hard to remove it.

raptorWagon

The Rear steering just moves the toe 1.5 degrees in either direction, the DSMs just have passive 4WS vs active like a VR4. You can either get those rod things or get the Weld in joints that are on Jay Racing I believe that will remove all the adjustment out of the arms. Literally no need to do either if you don't want to, it isn't going to hurt anything if you just remove the rack.

awdslim

I have a complete rear subframe from a 92 dsm that i’m planning on starting to swap tomorrow night. Would it be easier to just swap parts or the entire subframe assembly?

Nebraska

Entire subframe if all parts are good on it. I used a Dsm subframe with a 4 bolt. All new seals, bearings, bolts, and bushings. I’m satisfied.

Vince

So.... I guess I have had enough beer to play devils advocate, and maybe admit my stupidity on both the platform, and typing while drunk... :^p

Many threads talk about the RWS delete, and I question "why?". That I am aware, the history of the car itself shows it is a championship winning car by design, 4WS and all. Now I also know the limits of the diff and 4 bolt hubs when it comes to pushing the HP up into the crazy range, but if that area is not your goal, why delete the feature at all? Can someone explain what championships this car has won without 4WS? (lets exclude the 1/4 mile stuff).
I'm just curious why so many feel the 4WS, designed by automotive engineers has interfered with winning any championship races acknowledged by the industry?

Vince /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

brisvr4

I think that you will find that none of the works rally cars had 4WS fitted.
Fuel will be able to 100% confirm this.
It is usually removed because it is prone to leaking as the cars age and it is easier to just remove the whole thing.
I removed mine almost 10 years ago after it leaked badly and have never had an issue with not locking anything up.

raptorWagon

Quoting Vince:
So.... I guess I have had enough beer to play devils advocate, and maybe admit my stupidity on both the platform, and typing while drunk... :^p

Many threads talk about the RWS delete, and I question "why?". That I am aware, the history of the car itself shows it is a championship winning car by design, 4WS and all. Now I also know the limits of the diff and 4 bolt hubs when it comes to pushing the HP up into the crazy range, but if that area is not your goal, why delete the feature at all? Can someone explain what championships this car has won without 4WS? (lets exclude the 1/4 mile stuff).
I'm just curious why so many feel the 4WS, designed by automotive engineers has interfered with winning any championship races acknowledged by the industry?

Vince /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

As brisvr4 stated, the old lines are prone to leaking and replacement parts have been NLA for years. Once it all starts falling apart, there is no reason to keep it anymore when parts aren't available and most would rather keep their cars running and driving.

raptorWagon

Also it is possible to keep 4WS even when switching to a stronger 4 bolt rear diff as well, you just have to put the 4 bolt differential inside the stock housing to make it all work. That's another way to do it too if you have a leak free system.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts