The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Solid before/after Dyno or 1/4 mile numbers on CAMS and I/C

matt92vr4

So my stockish engine build blew up and I'm considering the next time around going with HKS 272 cams and a better intercooler besides the EVO9. Does anyone have any documented feedback on before/after cams or IC?

I'd be going from stock cams to HKS272 and from a EVO9 IC to ETS.

I'll be running forged crank, pistons, and rods. E3 16g on pump gas, ECMLINK3 SD, Cyclone intake, in Florida (very hot most of the time). Car is DD with monthly drag strip attendance.

Are these mods worth the $$?

Thanks a bunch!

LIV4PSI

IMO, those cams are a little big for a 16G, maybe consider a 264/272 combo. I would also think an EVO IX intercooler would be sufficient for a 16g

biglady112

I also don't see the need for anything other than a Mitsubishi crankshaft. Turned or stock.I firmly believe a factory crankshaft could handle 1000hp reliably. We have done 800hp reliably for a number of years now.

prove_it

I love my kelford 264's with my 16g. A little too big of cams, but with a cyclone manifold, low end is still wicked. Also with E85 remember that the fuel will cool the intake charge about 30 degrees in the manifold. A big intercooler is not necessary with the 16g even at 28psi. The evo will be fine. Personally I'd find a smaller but thicker core and more aerodynamic internally intercooler. But the evo will be plenty big.

Oh and you will not go above 400 whp with a 16g. A forged crank is only for the rich and those making 800whp or better. Hell your factory rods are fine.

Last edited:

thecman02

Intercooler and a nice set of cams make huge difference in HP. A very good tune is also very important. I'd check out evom for the numbers, but having a good intercooler is huge. You can gain horsepower just bolting it on from the reduced pressure drop of a more efficient core and cooler air temps.

No need for anything but OEM for crankshafts. Pick whatever pistons and rods you want just make sure you have a good machine shop check all the clearances and have all your components balanced.

Last edited:

CutlassJim

Maybe he just meant stock stuff since it is all forged from the factory anyway? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

turbofonz

IMO 272's and as big of an intercooler as you can run, even on a 16g will help.

I have no data, but my car woke up from going from a smaller ETS fmic to a larger ETS fmic.

matt92vr4

Thanks guys, great info on the cams. Is prefer a stock crank, but mine is shot and the aftermarket seems to be cheaper. I'll check the EVO forums for ic info.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned