The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

So I entered 1051 in a street car competition

turbowop

So over a year after being on the English dyno and tweaking the tune, it put down the exact same numbers: 424whp/383ft-lbs. LOL

I got three pulls and they didn't allow tuning between the pulls. Made the most on the first pull using third gear. Car is still alive FTW!
I'll update moar later.

jnava

Staff member
Yet again...proudly representing the GVR4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

curtis

12.ohhhhsssss so suck . Decades ago I went to Bowling Green for the last Saturday night of the year. Car kept getting quicker and quicker and last pass of the night spun bad and I had a 2.20 60 ft where the run before was a 1.75 range but 4th was hauling ass in the cool air, ended up with a 12.001 at like 127 on Goodyear GSC's. I was pissed ....11.99 with a 9 would have been so fricking much better, came back up and started begging one more pass ......so sorry we're closed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Best of luck with the rest of the competition

turbowop

So a lot of the other competitors were complaining about the dyno today reading lower numbers than they're used to seeing. One guy even did pulls on the English dyno last week and made more power on it, so my car might be doing more, which would make sense since I'm now trapping higher in the 1/4 mile. Regardless, all of us dyno'd on the same rollers, so we're all subject to the same overall results. I think I came in fourth overall for peak power. Unfortunately, they scored me as second to last for "power production". I guess my powerband around my torque curve is narrow. The guys running the dyno said my horsepower curve looked really good though, so I dunno. I'll post a pic of the dyno sheet later. But peak power and power production are both separate categories.

Good news regarding the rest of the day. I think I scored really high in build quality. Last I heard, I got second. The judges (from Speedware Motorsports) said it was the dryest "DSM" underbody they had ever seen. They kept complimenting me on how well I had put the car together and kept it that way over the years. I had guys coming up and shaking my hand constantly because they thought the car was so well put together, so that felt awesome. People seem to love the car because it's different and not the usual Evo or Subaru. I think I did well in "show" as well, but won't find out until tomorrow.

Just fuel mileage and autocross left. I heard I was fourth overall at this point, so wish me luck to keep it up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

transparentdsm

Quoting turbowop:
it was the dryest "DSM" underbody they had ever seen.

i have heard and gotten this a few times myself. its a nice feeling when people compliment your hard work.

turbowop

I got third in carshow. That bumps me into third place overall with just fuel mileage and autocross. If I place top three overall I'll be super happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noes.gif

ade

any locals gonna be there for autocross? i need vid of wop flogging the G /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

U got further than 100's and it aint over yet.

Last edited:

turbowop

I just placed third in fuel mileage with 34mpg. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif just under the Subaru and the Honda creamed us all with 39mpg.

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

That's still awesome, as I bet the WRX wagon and Civic are at the bottom of the competition overall anyways.

Third overall would be considered a win in my book, because there is no reason the two $100k GTRs don't take first and second.

transparentdsm

depending on how the honda and subi did on the rest of the rounds and what cars where in first in second before this event. mark could be in second place now.

EMX5636

Definitely need to get a video of the Auto-X! Congrats so far and good luck on the last! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

turbowop

I can't autocross for sh*t! I got four runs. None clean though. I missed one gate every time, and that's a 10second penalty. A lot of guys were having the same problem, but I don't think it will help me. Fingers crossed after this event.

turbowop

Finally home! Car is back in the garage and resting after a three day flogging. That's probably the most fun I've ever had with 1051. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Although I didn't place well in autocross, it was still a blast. The course was HUGE. Second gear the whole time with a lot of it near 8k+ rpm. I just used my 25psi non-methanol tune for it. I could probably use a bigger swaybar (I knew this already), but the Muellerized JIC's handled great, and the car turned a lot better than I expected with a welded center diff. I think what helped is that the course was so large and not super technical with crazy tight turns. Today's event was all about drivers and not cars. No matter what any of us drove, those with cone dodging experience would have won this event anyway.

I saw some pics that they took of the car going around the course, and they look awesome. I'm sure it will take the importmeet.com guys a bit of time to go through all the media and put it together before it gets posted everywhere, but overall results will get posted soon. Pics and video will follow, which should be epic. I borrowed a buddy's gopro and set it up on my harness bar for drag, dyno, and autocross, so hopefully that footage turned out good as well.

Regardless of where I place, the car was a standout. No matter where we were, I had lots of people asking about it and/or giving recognition for clean old Mitsubishis. I think it was viewed as a bit of an underdog, and surprised a lot of people. Especially for being the oldest car in the event (since the 3rd gen Supra blew its turbo just days before the event and couldn't make it). I even had people asking where to pick one up at and I directed them here of course. All in all, I'm definitely glad I entered and went through with this. The car performed great and is still sitting on tires ready to be fired up for a drive to the grocery store. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

curtis

Glad you had fun with the car. I spent all weekend running a pressure washer, but did come in to see if you had posted any videos or pictures. You didn't and this thread sucks with no pictures. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts