The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

So I entered 1051 in a street car competition

turbowop

Give it some time! Sheesh!

Here's one I stole from FB...from when they had half the cars on lifts to check out underbodies during the build quality/fabrication judging:

1172840_662007853828633_1584385982_o.jpg

Here's another with me waiting on the RX7 to move so I can put 2.3 gallons in after driving for 80ish miles:

998582_662298787132873_461177140_n.jpg

That Supra got 15mpg on E85. Ouch!

curtis

Damn that was quick I should have asked for beer. Fingers crossed for you brother.

dustyduff

GVR4 in top 3 out of all the cars who entered... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Nice job Mark. Hopefully you're still in the top 3 rankings, but either way it's nice to see the car in the herd with all those other cars.

Congrats.

Tell all the haters that call 1051 a garage queen to suck it.

KiNgMaRtY

Nice Job Mark! The car sure looks good. I am looking forward to the video /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yes, 15MPG is very average on E85. I get anywhere from 14-18 on E85 in my Evo. It's cheaper so it evens out.

ApexHunter

Quoting turbowop:
Good news regarding the rest of the day. I think I scored really high in build quality. Last I heard, I got second. The judges (from Speedware Motorsports) said it was the dryest "DSM" underbody they had ever seen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Thanks for the updates Mark...been following this and really stoked on how this thing panned out. Not only did a GVR4 get nominated, chosen, and finally competed, but it did well and made it back in one piece. So stoked!!!

Sounds like the car did great overall and really represented the GVR4 platform for what most of us appreciate it for. Old, understated, obscure car comes in and does well with a fairly simple albeit well concocted and proven formula and consequently makes a great showing. I know you did this so you could enjoy the car for what you built it for but thanks for your efforts. Glad you had a good time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Also, i just saw the features/vids on the civic and s13. Potentially good engine setup for that chassis (wish it had better suspension), and i'm glad to see the civic in there for good measure. That civic seemed pretty nice, although the 6262 is a little nutty for the intended use IMO, boost by gear or not. Maybe if you just keep it above 5 or 6k rpm all the time it's not so bad, lol. IM guys did a pretty good job picking the cars. Pretty good examples of each for the most part, keeping in mind the "street car" aspect.

turbowop

The Evo actually got 24mpg in the fuel mileage test on e85, but we were all driving like grannies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif the Supra and R34 are the two with the worst fuel mileage.

The Civic placed first in autocross! So big turbo or not, it was setup well and driven by a guy that knows how to dodge cones. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

turbowop

Oh, and the s13 guy was really cool as well. I ended up hanging out with him for the majority of the event. Made a few new friends that I'll most likely see at other car events. The interview vids weren't very indicative of everybody's true personality. All competitors were a lot cooler in person.

Last edited:

turbowop

Here's another pic, which kind of sums up a lot of the weekend. Lineup of the cars for autocross, and you can see me with the hood up talking about the car with a random guy that walked up asking questions about it. People seem to love the obscure stuff! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

94520905d205f5a.jpg

4orced4door

This is so awesome. Congrats on all the love 1051 got, the more than respectable rankings, and on bringing it home in one piece. Every GVR4 owner should Paypal you a donation for increasing the value of their car.

jogalant

Good show and congrats on acquitting yourself and the VR-4 well in this competition. Our stock can only go up after this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
clapping-bravo-smiley-emoticon.gif

BTW, what's R-Turd-y 2 doing below? We only need one sleeper in this deal.

turbowop

Final results are in. I fell to sixth after autocross. That hurts after tasting third place for a bit. But it is what it is. f***ing cones! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Pics/video/media will be coming out over the next several weeks I'm sure, as well as the full story as far as what car placed in what event.

importmeet.com facebook page

curtis

Just found the results

IMSCC 2013 Final Results:

1. 1997 Toyota Supra - Stu Hagen - 548.6 points
2. 1995 Honda Civic - Guillaume Marceau - 522.5 points
3. 2000 Nissan Skyline GT-R - John Pennell - 505.2 points
4. 2004 Subaru WRX - Katie Smith - 474.4 points
5. 1993 Mazda RX-7 - Matt Korthuis - 470.2 points
6. 1991 Mitusbishi Galant VR-4 - Mark Pontarolo - 450.1 points
7. 2009 Nissan GT-R - Quentin Christensen - 407.0 points
8. 1992 Nissan 240SX - Steve Maxey - 394.9 points
9. 2006 Mitsubishi Evolution - Nathan Wood - 343.1 points

You got beat by an old man in a Supra, a honda with no interior and miss matched seats, an old GTr and a girl with hella horns in a subaru. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Yea I left out the RX7....too many people doing LS/truck motor swaps so he doesn't count /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But killed and evo and a new GTR so not all bad I guess. Those hella horns I know were screwing with your concentration so your off the hook. Can't wait to see video's of you crushing cones, I'm laughing if you have orange marks on 1051.

For all you guys that have never went scca racing its not easy, Anyone that talks sh*t about how easy it is.... we want to see your video's. I took the mustang to an event in Nashville decades ago and I learned real quick tires and brakes are hella expensive because one day playing just cost a full set of both, you must get there early to walk the course and after screwing up twice nitrous will not help with the final round. But 4th gear at 7K white smoking the tires will scare the sh*t out of the corner workers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

You did good Mark. Pat your self on the back and go haz a beer or 16.

Next year we're going to add a 3 gallon cell in the dash or an inflatable balloon so you get 68 mpg, some sneaky pete bottles in the headliner for the dyno and we'll make sure you can drive in between cones. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

raptorWagon

Actually from what Mark told me, Old Man's son who was driving the Supra and he was chillin on a lawn chair while his tuner answered questions about the car during the show portion... He and the GTR owner both had their tuners there all weekend, the GTR's tuner was driving the car lol. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

LIV4PSI

Good job Wop! My biggest surprise was how well that WRX wagon did. The mod list was far from impressive, hell my DD STi makes more power.

And for anyone who has never auto-x, it is MUCH harder than it looks. I got lost my first lap trying it, kept wanting to shift into third, fast in/slow out every corner, etc. It takes a lot of seat time to get good at it

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned