The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Smog ? swapped motor

nsin

I have to smog car soo, and i have to fix a couple problems. One major one, being motor according to tech, he said it would not pass with incorrct motor!.. huh Wtf??! It has a 1g gsx and wondering what the heck im i suppose to do? ugg

GSTwithPSI

Quoting nsin:
I have to smog car soo, and i have to fix a couple problems. One major one, being motor according to tech, he said it would not pass with incorrct motor!.. huh Wtf??! It has a 1g gsx and wondering what the heck im i suppose to do? ugg

Pay someone to hook you up and pass it, that's what I do. CA sucks man. PM me if you want more info.

moduleunknown

It's not that it can't pass smog, but rather that in it's current configuration, it won't pass in CA.

When I gave that car (shell) to the guy you bought it from, he transplanted the engine from his 90 GSX to the VR4. Oddball year for DSM's, so some things were different than what should have been in the '91 GVR4.

I'm almost certain that the smog equipment is incorrect for what should be on that car (again, coming from a 90 GSX). Here's a good place to start..

131989-0-0-0.jpg

Make sure everything matches the CA config.

...might I also suggest you pull the ECU and determine where that came from. I didn't supply one when I gave him the shell.

JCorbo25

If you want to make the drive to Walnut Creek, I have a friendly smog tech that can take a long look at it and tell you 'exactly' what you need to pass smog.

He charged me $40 to get my GVR4 to pass smog, but I barely failed the first time.

nsin

Thanks for the help guys. I'll look into rerouting vac tubing, n fixing other problems. N worst case scenerio, hotsmog.. I checked ecu and looks ok, idk where it came from, it has new caps. what does socketed mean btw?

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Eprom chip is removed and a socket is soldered in/installed allowing chips to be "slid/pushed in". The same idea as PC processors with their swing arm chip installers, just more than likely you will not have the swing arm to pull the ship in, or lock it in.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned