The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Secrets on removing stuck rotors?

Hondasi88

The first side came off with alittle hammer banging......but the second is stuck. Any tips?

Muskrat

Don't use a hammer, you'll put a shock load on the wheel bearing = bad.

Get a bolt and a nut. Put the bolt through the caliper mounting hole in the hub and tighten the nut down so it's inbetween the hub and the rotor. Crank down the the bolt a few turns (holding the nut) then let off and spin the rotor a 1/8-1/4 turn. Repeat. Go slow, It'll probably take 10-15 min.

I'm assuming you're replacing the rotors, right?

Last edited:

blacksheep

Can't remember, but check to see if it has the small philips screw some manufacturers put on from factory. Just saying this may be why...You will need an impact screwdriver to take those off.

I have used a rubber mallet and hit the rotor at 12, 6, 3 and 9 alternatively and eventually it comes off. Similar to getting a wheel off when its being stubborn.

Good luck!

RayH

Quoting Muskrat:
Don't use a hammer, you'll put a shock load on the wheel bearing = bad.

Get a bolt and a nut. Put the bolt through the caliper mounting hole in the hub and tighten the nut down so it's inbetween the hub and the rotor. Crank down the the bolt a few turns (holding the nut) then let off and spin the rotor a 1/8-1/4 turn. Repeat. Go slow, It'll probably take 10-15 min.

I'm assuming you're replacing the rotors, right?

This method works really well.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Hose the rotor center and around the lugs with a penetrant like pb blaster, preferably the night before.

Put a dab of grease on the end of two 8mm x 1.25 threaded bolts.

Thread them into the two holes in the rotor untill they are snug, then give them an extra 1/8th turn.

Reasonably firmly, smack the front face of the rotor with a two pound ballpeen hammer, (using the peening end) inbetween the lugs. (if re-using the rotors, use the flat end)

Crank the bolts another 1/4 turn, and pop the rotor from the back with a dead blow as required. It helps to hit it in a clocking that is 90* to the two release bolts, rotate it 180* and repeat a few cycles before going all mcgilla the gorilla on sh*t.

Heat, if necessary, kept to a minimum will also help.

Don't just beat on the things, as they won't come off, and you will damage/brinnel the wheel bearings.

While the rotors are off, dress the outer edge of the hub flange with a flat file and be sure to clean the hub flange thoroughly, especially around the studs and hub center flange. The rotor centers up on the inner flange, so it must be clean and corrosion free to get the rotor to sit flat and centered.

This will also help them come off cleanly the next time you service the brake

If you do use the carrier as a leverage point, be sure to lube the hardware, or you will damage the caliper carrier face, and that can cause brake problems down the road.

It really is best to use two holes in the rotor, and understand the proccess. Just cranking the bolts down will strip them out before much of anything happens. Applying a schosche of tension and then smacking the assembly while it's under under tension will always remove them.

You just gotta be patient. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

grocery_getter

Don't forget to always have the lug nuts screwed on a couple threads on the studs when fighting off a stuck brake rotor. This helps two things. One it stop the rotor from flying towards you when it does come off (just in case). Two it helps if you have a missed hammer swing that it doesn't hit the stud or the thread of the studs.

JackbNimble

You can do what I did /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

click
click

Last edited:

Hondasi88

I wish i could just crack it in half! But i'll pick up some PB blaster and the correct bolts from home depot today.

JackbNimble

Haha I took an acetylene torch to it. They were rusted to hell and back on there. I don't think they had been replaced since the car left the factory.

Hondasi88

mine are rusted on also....one side came right off the other

well we are having problems. Everything was original and old on this car so i have alot of more reading to do.

a2vr4

Are there any small threaded holes between the lug studs? If so reinstall at least two lug nuts to opposing lug studs(as a precaution against a flying rotor), find a bolt(s) that threads into the small hole(s), tighten the small bolts to put a bit of pressure on the hub then tap rotor with a hammer in a circular motion. Repeat this method in small increments, until the bond between the rotor and the hub breaks. Pm me if you have any questions, I have used this technique many times on old stuck rotors. Hope this helps!
~Brian A. Moreno

EDIT: Muskrat's point about the wheel bearing is valid, but I prefer it to using a torch, also like afore mentioned penetrating oil is your friend! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

Hondasi88

I finally got them off yesterday and yes the method above worked great! A .27 home depot bolt and nut did the trick.

The rotors looked like they were never changed even though the previous owner claimed they it was done a year ago.

a2vr4

Glad to hear it worked! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
~Brian A. Moreno

wowzer

Must be nice to have the bolt trick work. Mine snaped of flush to the rotor and started to crack it. So I resorted to the hammer method.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts