The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

screamer pipe benefits?

Songsay

Terry, that is nice.
that is what i plan to do with mine over the winter.
I know dumping into the atmosphere gives me a false reading on my wideband downstream.

Terry Posten

No, BUT Chris Beran (boostinhard) ported the O2 part of the turbo (outlet side) and it still had the stock sized flapper. I did the housing. You really can't tell it but the outlet ID size where the dump mounted was about .500" larger Than stock.

cheekychimp

Quoting Garfield Wright:
Boost comes on faster & you make more power.

Quoting BarnesMobile:
How would a dump pipe help spool? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I think Garfield is referring to boost lag between shifts or after letting off the throttle in a turn and then getting back on it (assuming that you are not using anti-lag). Whilst I appreciate that the advantages might be negligble (especially in view of all the extra noise) I was under the impression that an open dump allows the turbo to spin freely a little longer allowing faster boost response when you get back on the throttle.

Barnes

A dump pipe should have zero affect on spool or transient boost response. It will however help prevent boost creep, and help power output.

cheekychimp

Well if you say so; I don't really know enough to argue about it. I think the proper way to do it is have the dump feed back into the 'main' exhaust farther down. I've just heard it said many times that the stock O2 housings feeding back into the exhaust right after the turbine create a lot of turbulence there that does hinder transient boost response. It isn't something I am worried about on a small turbo like a 14B or 16G but I opted to go with the atmospheric dump on the bigger Holset. I'll see if the noise gets to me after a while and if so I'll have to weld on a short flex section and feed it back into the main exhaust further down.

Barnes

When you shift, your boost drops extremely fast which shuts the wastegate flapper. So during shifts, no exhaust gas is flowing out of the wastegate that could potentially interfere with the gas flowing out of the turbine exit.

3rdstrikedsm

Well I will give my ricer 02 on this subject and I have an open dump on my s6 and it really has no noticeable benefit other than when I am on antilag it now shoots flames from under the car as well as out of the exhaust /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

Terry Posten

This is what I run now with my PTE 6152R turbo. You can see more if you click on the link in my sig below.

boostedinaz

Only the first post in athread will have the person's sig. Check page one.

Quoting cheekychimp:
Well if you say so; I don't really know enough to argue about it. I think the proper way to do it is have the dump feed back into the 'main' exhaust farther down.

You can dump it on the ground or further in and have the same benefit. As long as there is enough distance that there is no turbulence then it doesn't matter if its routed back in or not.

As long as its not dumping right on the core support or too close to the radiator then try it out and see how you like it.

Terry Posten

Quoting boostedinaz:
Only the first post in athread will have the person's sig. Check page one.

Really? Never noticed that.

Terry Posten

Well, it is there now. Very strange...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned