The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Running rich

Specter

Im running too rich at idle as well as at wot. The car gives black smoke at wot. Im running 450cc injectors, small 14b turbo and a 1g mas. Im unable to find a 2g mas in my country. The car runs fine at wot just gives black smoke. I do not have any logging capabilities. Where should i start to trouble shoot? The motor is a jdm 7 bolt 2g motor. I read few topics but was unable to find sumone in a situation like mine

Launch

The first thing Id go over would be Boost-leaks and check the plugs. BPR6ES spark plugs will be what you want.

prove_it

You could be burning oil too.

The factory Air/Fuel ratio is ~9.5:1, so it is normal to see black smoke. The extra fuel is there to help cool the cylinders. You don't want to swap to a 2G MAS unless you have some way to properly compensate for it.

Specter

Hmm okay i will check the plugs. Its not burning oil. Will check for boost leaks also. On the other hand, what can i do to make it a bit leaner?

1990ggsxnj

AFC is an option, though that also messes with your timing in a way that may negate the effects of a leaner a/f ratio. Without any way of logging I would leave it be since it's working the way it was intended to and not blowing up on you. If you're looking to do it right, you would get an eprom ecu and have keydiver run some leaner a/f ratio's to pervent the smoking and get a logger & a/f meter since getting a custom chip doesn't prevent other things (such as leaks around the maf) from damaging your engine.

EDIT: to PREVENT the smoking. [left the error because it made me chuckle]

Last edited:

What octane fuel do you run? An AFC or a chip is about the only way to lean out the openloop/WOT without effecting the closedloop idle and cruising. A 2G MAS would lean you out 29%, which is WAY too much! When coupled with 550cc injectors, it leans you out an extra 10%, which is good, but it puts you on more advanced timing maps, which causes knock issues, unless you correct it in a chip.

Specter

I do have an eprom ecu. I guess i can get an safc and then play around with it to see the differences. Actually the ecu is from an evo III and not a vr4. I guess thats why its running rich because it should be using a 2g mas than 1g right? I think i'll try it with safc and check for differences, it will also allow me to take other readings as i swapped this 4g63 motor just a week ago and have no idea what the ecu is reading.

Yes, the 1G MAS puts out an airflow signal 29% higher than a 2G, so you will run VERY rich! What injectors are you running? The EVO3 ECU is setup for 510cc. If you have someone that can burn a chip for you I could probably put the right MAS and injector correction into a chip image for you to burn.

Specter

Unfortunately i do not have any one to burn a chip. But thanks alot for all ur help guys. I need a 2g maf or an safc to do the job. About the injectors, i have the green ones, they are 450cc rite? My ecu is the one with around 72 pins, do not remember exactly. Well i matched it with a evo 3 ecu pinout diagram which someone posted at this forum therefore i guess its an evo 3 ecu.

Can i run smaller injectors for the time being to make it a bit leaner? considering that my ecu is reading 29% more air from 1g mas and throwing in more fuel. Will it work for cruising speed until i get a 2g mas?

Wouldn't it make more sense to spend the money and install parts that will help performance i.e. safc, 2g maf etc than to install parts that hurt i.e. smaller injectors, thats just me though, I like to spend my money on benefits rather than burdens

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned