The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Knock on Hot Start

Specter

I have been lately experiencing some very loud knock when ever i start the car after a long drive, the oil temp would be around 75 degree Celsius or so. Can any one guide me what could be the reason? No i do not have any logging capabilities, sorry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Car has an rvr ecu, 2g mas, 450cc injectors, base FP set at 40psi, 6 heat range ngk plugs.
Thanks!

fuel

What kind of 'knock' exactly? does it sound like a bearing knock or is it more like an engine pinking/pre-ignition knock?

Specter

Its more like a pre-ignition knock. If it were to be a bearing type knock it should have occurred at cold temperatures also. But it only occurs when the car is started at higher temperatures. It only happens once, *cranking...engine starts, knock comes once" that is it. If you turn the car off at that very moment and start the engine again, the knock will not come, probably because ecu retarted the timing.

SouthCaliVR4

You hear "one" knock on hot start, as in it does it once or literally you hear one single knock?

Specter

I meant that it does only once, its not in a continuous stream of knocks, its only once, even if you push the rpm up to a higher range it wont knock again, but it will definitely knock once the engine starts after cranking. I should also mention that on cold starts my car is usually taking a bit longer to start then before, i would keep it cranking for 4-5 seconds and den stop, den crank it again, i repeat this process around 3-4 times when ever its cold. It also sometimes sputters on cold starts as if its not getting enough fuel/spark, if i give a very feather touch to the accelerator the engine will stabilize and rpm will come to its normal 1000 rpm range and sputtering will disappear in an instant.

Seems in both hot and cold starts, i have an igniting problem, either lack of spark, or lack of fuel or a combo of both. But i need a bit more guidance as in what to look for.

SouthCaliVR4

Hook a fuel pressure gauge up to it. If it's within spec both hot & cold, check the cas & ignition system. it does sound like you loosing pressure/volume in the system when the engine is off, cycling the key will prime the pump. could be an injector leaking down, bad fuel pump or regulator.

If you find it is bleeding off, pinch off the return line to check the regulator, the feed line to check pump & both to check injectors. this test is with the car off, you're looking to hold pressure at the rail.

Specter

Okay, so if it is bleeding off from the fuel pump inlet, how, in an actual correctly working system is the fuel stopped from bleeding off, is there a one way check valve in the fuel line which will only let the fuel flow towards the fuel pump and not back to the tank or does the fuel pump itself stops the fuel from bleeding off back to the tank?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned