The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

my evolving transmission issue. hard shifts at high RPM's (POST MORTEM)

EfiniX

Just looking for a little guidance while understanding fully that there is no replacement for a professional diagnostic. When I got my VR-4, the previous owner warned me that the trany was moody and may need a rebuild. This seemed odd to me seeing as the paperwork showed a full rebuild around 40,000 miles ago. When I got the car, sure enough it was indeed touchy. Slow shifts worked for all gears, save for 2nd-to-3rd, which would occasionally not care how careful I was being and grind angrily at me. Not often, but certainly often enough for me to do a little research. I've adjust the clutch pedal and it got better, but not great. I should also note that I was able to thread it pretty far in before reaching the point where I had to adjust out a touch to free the slave cylinder. So my thought now is that perhaps the pedal assembly is worn and needs to be replaced. Is there a way to confirm this? Is this a straightforward task for a moderately mechanical person like myself?

I've had issues with other older cars similar to this where replacing the hear oil helped loads. Is his a possible source for this type of problem?

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Last edited:

presterone

I have heard that the pedal assembly does get worn or possibly your clutch master cylinder do a google search on GVR4 clutch pedal assembly

EfiniX

New MC about 20k ago, so I'm thinking pedal assembly. The thing is, the pedal is tight. No slop. I'm not saying it isn't the MC, just that it would be odd given how new it is.

C

Last edited:

rgeier11

Make sure the transmission bolts are tight. If they aren't, when you engage the clutch, the transmission will literally push off of the engine.

ktmrider

Tight housing bolts are a good start.

One note, these transmissions take GL-4 type fluid. Unfortunately people put GL-5 spec oil in which "could" cause degredation of the brass internals.

I say "could" as there are about as many arguments on this topic as there are ones on alternator location. Worst case search the site for the suggested tranny fluid Cocktails that are GL-4 and see what happens. Swapped mine for Redline brand, noticed an improvement in shift quality.

EfiniX

Quoting rgeier11:
Make sure the transmission bolts are tight. If they aren't, when you engage the clutch, the transmission will literally push off of the engine.

How/where do I check the transmission bolts? Are you referring to mounts, or the actual bolts around the bell housing? Is this type of behavior visible if you have someone pushing in the clutch while you watch the transmission from either the top or under the car?

Last edited:

EHmotorsports

Some have had issues with a worn out pivot ball for the clutch fork.

donkeylips

Make sure your clutch disc didn't fall apart like mine did this summer.
Sometimes it would shift ok, most times it wouldn't.

EfiniX

Quoting EHmotorsports:
Some have had issues with a worn out pivot ball for the clutch fork.

That's what the gentleman at English Racing suggested. Fingers crossed that isn't the issue since I'm to understand you have to pull the trany to make adjustments.

EHmotorsports

well depending on my work load and things in life going on. i may have time if it comes down to it to help pull the trans your place or mine. for a small beer and pizza fee /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif haha

EfiniX

Quoting EHmotorsports:
well depending on my work load and things in life going on. i may have time if it comes down to it to help pull the trans your place or mine. for a small beer and pizza fee /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif haha

Well if you are serious, I have a pretty extensive beer collection and I would certainly open some of my rarer bottles for the help. PM me.

EfiniX

Quoting transparentdsm:
when you first noticed the issue did you by chance make a very hard down shift? if so it could be a twisted spline...

No hard downshifts at all, but I can't vouch for he previous owner.

I have noticed that it's more pronounced at higher rpm's. When I adjusted the pedal, I did not adjust the switch, so I'm going to do that and probably replace the fluid just so I can aee the condition.

Any thoughts on linkage adjustment? Looks like rods, not cables.

theevozero

I'd be almost certain that your issue is a bent clutch disc, because of some ass hat leaving the transmission hanging on the splines, or a warpped pressure plate. Clutch drag destroys syncros.

EfiniX

Im going to take another swing at adjustment, check the trany bolts and the pedal assembly. I'll also change the fluid and cross my fingers I don't need to pull the transmission.

As always, further advice is always welcome!

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

There is seriously no play in the clutch pedal? You can grab it, and when you try to move it, it stays solid?

My car needs the pedals rebuilt, and it behaves similarly to your car. Its a fairly common problem.

theevozero

You're waisting your time. Bite the bullet.

EfiniX

Quoting LIV4PSI:
There is seriously no play in the clutch pedal? You can grab it, and when you try to move it, it stays solid?

My car needs the pedals rebuilt, and it behaves similarly to your car. Its a fairly common problem.

I'll go grab it at lunch time. I must confess to not making a very extensive go of it (busy schedule this week).

LIV4PSI

Here is from JNZs website

"Common issue for high mileage Galant VR-4's is clutch disengagement problems. If you have tried replacing the clutch cylinders and checked for other common engagement problems reach down and pull up on your clutch pedal. If you can lift the pedal up freely the pedal is worn out. The clutch pedal lever rounds off causing slop in the pedal assembly resulting in not enough throw to properly disengage the clutch. This kit will include everything needed to fix that worn out assembly and get your pedal throw back."

Also, check out GSTwithPSIs build thread. He just rebuild his pedal assembly and took pics of the worn out parts. Once you see the pics, it makes sense why its such a common problem.

EfiniX

You're a frickin' rockstar, LIV4PSI

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned