The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GVR4 died in the middle of the road...clutch won't engage

OZRally

I had a similar problem and it ended up being the clutch disc splines were sheared off. Looked very nasty and sounded horrible. The only way to tell what happened is to take the trans out and inspect.
Good luck

Hey all...could it be a bad transfer case? Would it cause these symptoms? Looks like some fluid leaked out like I see in the VFAQ.

Transfer case had plenty of fluid...leak could have been from some other year/time etc.

Alrighty folks, pulled the tranny and the input shaft turns freely. The input shaft is the splined shaft in the middle right? I can move it with light to moderate reistance. When I turn it, the other splined shaft towards the outside of the case moves with it.

Does this mean that I need a tranny?

Thanks

Come on guys, car is apart. I can clearly see that all of the splines are missing from the hubs on the clutch discs (PTT). I want to make sure that my tranny is still good. One of you said that if the input shaft turns freely the tranny is screwed. What exactly does freely mean? Should I be able to turn it with my hand?

Barnes

Your transmission is probably fine unless the splines on your input shaft are deformed. Closely inspect the input shaft splines, and maybe post a pic.

Also, shift the tranny into different gears and try turning the input shaft. See how it feels and if the resistance goes up as you go up through the gears. YOu can also watch the t-case output shaft and see it spin faster.

Barnes

Quoting blkchr91:
I can clearly see that all of the splines are missing from the hubs on the clutch discs (PTT).

I'm under the impression this is a common problem with earlier generation PTT discs as they didn't heat treat the splined clutch disc hubs. So the pressure plate might be totally fine, as well as the transmission.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned