The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ridiculous Knock Numbers...

SleepinGVR4

So coasting down my hill last night. All of the sudden I'm seeing knock counts of 225, 241, 225. My knock sensor isn't that old and hasn't leaked the black stuff out of the back yet. Is that a sign that its going bad?

1qkfwd

Make sure it didn't come loose and rattling around in the block.

steve

AFAIK you can not see knocksum over 43. Where are you seeing this at?

SleepinGVR4

Quoting steveGLS:
AFAIK you can not see knocksum over 43. Where are you seeing this at?

Yes I knew it was around the "40's" somewhere so something else is wrong. I was seeing when I was coasting down a hill in second gear, my foot was off the throttle.

And I just checked the sensor isn't loose. I'm going to check if its throwing any codes now.

As someone else said, the highest value from the ECU is 43. So,if you are seeing any higher numbers it is evidently a communications error with your logger.

steve

Your logger is not getting the ECU's knocksum count, because if it was it could not be higher than 43. Hence some type of communication glitch.

brisvr4

Check your cable. Mine was getting readings like that and it turned out to be a dodgy wiring connection.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned