The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cool! Knock with no knock sensor!

turboflanagan

Not really.

I have at least 9 counts of knock with any acceleration over 15-20%tps under load. The best part is that I get all this with my knock sensor totally unplugged.

What the...?!

First I just took it out of the block, then still had the same symptoms and unplugged the damn thing.

All this is with 9 to maybe 10 lbs of boost.

What the hell would give knock even with the sensor unplugged?

brisvr4

I remember reading somewhere that the Ecu defaults to a 9 knock count if it thinks the sensor is dead.
This should pull timing and save you motor as far as the ecu sees it.
Everyone is free to flame me if I am wrong though.

bustedsm

You're actually correct. The car is still reading that there is predetonation and pulls timing so you don't blow that sucker up. Get yourself an OE replacement from somewhere like Autozone or O'Reilly and you'll be fine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

turboflanagan

The one I pulled out and unplugged is a brand new one that I just put in to see if the old one was causing the issue.

Maybe I have a wiring issue somewhere, but I have continuity to ground on one knock sensor wire and voltage on the other...

I have not checked all the way back to the ecu for wire continuity though. I guess that is my next step.

Polish

Yep, I tried at the track once because it was knocking on the studder box and it was killing my launch so I tried unplugging it and it knocked all the way down the track with it unplugged when with it plugged in, nothing (Except on the studder box). Ironically I trapped my best trap ever on that pass... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Peter, if you unbolt the knock sensor, leave it plugged in, but grounded, that will kill any knock. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

turboflanagan

Thanks Jeff. I'll give that a try. I had it unscrewed from the block but plugged in, just zip tied to my conduit for the wideband wiring. It was not grounded though. Then I unplugged it and got no better results.

The gas stations still don't have any gas so getting out to "play" is risky. Can't just stop at any corner for gas. I actually have to go hunting gas and there is no good way of knowing where any is going to be.

Whaaa, whaaa. Yeah, I know. Shut up Peter and go fix your car... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts