The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Knock sensor help

James

For starters the problem is that my car rewads 40+ counts of knock at ANY AMOUNT OF THROTTLE. Sitting in my drive way if its in Neutral and i give it a couple of revs i get 40 counts of knock.,

I replaced my knock sensor with a known working one, though mine looked good when i took it out. whats next?

note- previous owner had to have wired the sensor in since its a non turbo harness. (correct?).

EHmotorsports

Never trust another persons wiring. Unless if it's working properly. I would start by checking the wires from the knock sensor to the ecu. Also take a paper clip and do a drag test on the pins.(battery disconnected) and make sure they have proper drag to make a good connection.

James

I would think if the wiring was bad I would either get a cel for the sensor, or the readings would be more random.

I visually checked the wiring and it looks good. I'll physically check it tomorrow.

My gut wants to say its not real knock but it's screwing with everything else. When I hold the throttle at 1k to try and level out the fuel trim i get 35 degrees of timing advance.

Last edited:

James

I have not.

Note- my Wideband came in the mail today! Might try to get it in tomorrow

ktmrider

Sensor is super sensitive to torque, ie over-tightening. Barely over hand-tight IIRC, 7ft/lb. Will cause crazy knock like described if too tight.

Also heard of people shimming the KS with copper washers, helps drop some phantom frequencies.

James

I got it hard tight then gave it a tug with a wrench. I'll loosen it a hair and check! Thanks

Xcelerate

Eighther bad sensor or too advance timing. Check the wire to terminal also make sure it's on the right pin. And make sure he use a sheilded wire coz regular wire will bleed out and pick up noise from the chassis.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned