The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Replicating the nylon speedometer gear?

So I'm buying a spare nylon speedometer gear from a board member, and I got to thinking: couldn't a machine shop theoretically make a replica of it out of some sort of metal? It's known to wear out, and Satan can't even order it. So unless somebody makes a decent replica out of nylon or another material, are we all theoretically on a countdown to being without speedometers?

What sort of material should a replica be made of? Who could make it? Would I risk destroying the nylon gear I'm buying in the process of making a replica?

JNR

Yes, any gear can be made, or another adapted and imagine it's some sort of standard (you could then get the dimesnions and other drawing/mfg information, rather than destroying yours as a template)...If no standard, then take measurments and replicate...

If you were set on metal, then brass would probably be the best choice in that application...However, what is the mating material? If that is still nylon/plastic, then metal (brass) probably would not be a good way to go, unless you also replace that. When using metal gears, you have to think about lubrication, also...

Perhaps a better grade of nylon, or a plastic of some sort, if wear is an issue...They do last quite along time though, I believe.

Last edited:

Who would be able to make such a thing, if it must be nylon or plastic? If brass is a good material to use, would the average machine shop be able to fabricate it?

JNR

I edited my post...any competent machine shop "can" make a gear, but the setup/design time and tooling costs would add up...so, if it's a onesie-twosie thing, not worthwhile. At that point, look into other oem's that are similar and can adapt...I know GM uses typical parts that 'can' interchange, for instance. Without seeing the details, couldn't add much more in a solution.

Last edited:

Quoting OlDirtyDSM:
Who would be able to make such a thing, if it must be nylon or plastic? If brass is a good material to use, would the average machine shop be able to fabricate it?

Maybe get a mold made and talk to some plastic injection molding shops.... Its an idea.

spoulson

Along the same lines as speedo gears, I've often wondered why nobody makes different gear sets for DSMs/GVR4s. I've heard of people swapping in output shafts from various special edition Mitsu cars, but nothing has been readily available. Beings that I now own a Mustang with 3.55's, I thought, damn my GVR4 would've been awesome to drive if it were geared down like this!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned