The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

replacement harness plug connectors?

bradrs

Quoting 92_talon_awd:
^I strongly disagree. Crimping is nice and quick but soldering is best for maximum electrical conductivity. Heat shrinking is also recommended because it prevents oil/water/dirt from getting into the connection. If nothing else, use the butt connectors that have heat shrink built into them but solder whenever possible.

I disagree. Soldering isn't good at terminals as mentioned, for the reasons he pointed out. Even in a harness, you are weakening the wires slightly. A GOOD solder joint will last a while, as long as it is properly sealed, has some mechanical support around the wire like adhesive lined heatshrink, and is not in in an environment where it will see much vibration. So it is acceptable if done right. But a lot of people don't do it right.

I know some OEMs went away from solder, and for a reason. When I designed a harness for a GM supplier, I had to remove the solder splices and replace them with another type of splice. Barrel splices were actually acceptable where solder splices were not. And when we did durability testing, the solder joints were more problematic.

bradrs

Quoting iceman69510:

Brad, I think that connector is made by AMP. Should be pretty standard, and is used for the trunk speakers on the VR4 also I believe.

Thanks, I have been looking through their drawings for quite a while. Newer connectors have good drawings and can be easier to find. But this stuff was designed a long time ago, and sometimes the older stuff just doesn't have as much data on it. I found some that look compatible, but I have yet to find the drawing for that exact piece. It could very well be no longer available.

bradrs

Found it. Still available. I had been looking through the AMP catalog a dozen times or more in the past trying to find it, but this time it finally appeared. I will have them in a couple of days so I can verify it, along with the right terminals.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
I'm pretty sure the OE plugs were made by mitsubishi cable industries and ryosei electro circuit systems.

bradrs

They are doing something wrong if they are making a connector with the AMP logo on it. Or yazaki or sumitomo etc.

Granted the Chinese will copy parts all the way down to the logo, but the Japanese didn't do that.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting G:
I'm pretty sure the OE plugs were made by mitsubishi cable industries and ryosei electro circuit systems.

There is no exclusivity. Yazaki supplied the harnesses, but various connector suppliers are represented depending on the components they connect to, etc. Mitsubishi Cable was a very prominent one.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting bradrs:
Found it. Still available. I had been looking through the AMP catalog a dozen times or more in the past trying to find it, but this time it finally appeared. I will have them in a couple of days so I can verify it, along with the right terminals.

You should also get the single pin version of these if you don't already have them. There is one of them on the thermostat housing connections too.

I would be interested in getting some terminals for these.

bradrs

I did get a few of the single ones as well. I don't know if the 1 pins are 100% the correct ones though, they look like a variation. I will see when I get them in a few days.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned