The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

replacement harness plug connectors?

coyotes

So I did some wiring work on the car today, did my fuel pump rewire, and fixed my busted coolant temp sensor wire (to dash). I was inspecting the other wires and my coolant temp sensor wiring (to ecu) is quite crispy. I want to replace it but I don't think I can without replacing the harness plug. Can I get a new plug? where?

92_talon_awd

Which plug are you looking for? JNZ stocks a bunch of OEM style connectors...

Last edited:

navajo49

How far did you follow the wires is anything else fried?

coyotes

I followed the wires back about 8 inches back. Everything else is ok, it is just the two coolant sensors that have crispy wiring. The one to my gauge snapped in half a few weeks ago, I cut the tape back 6 inches to where it was soft and soldered in new wire from there and used a new female spade connector. I couldn't do the sensor to the ECU though, it is crispy right up to the harness plug. Car runs, but it's really just a matter of time till the wires go bad and I would rather take care of it right now.

GSTwithPSI

I had the same issue. People let oil leaks go unchecked for years, and the oil destroys the sheathing on the wires. I have a spare piece of engine harness I cannibalize for connectors and such. I just found a t-style connector, cut it off and soldered it in place of the old one.

B30-2.jpg

coyotes

yes that's the one I need. does it have a serial number or any other way to identify it? I'd rather buy new. I guess I should go search around.

LIV4PSI

There is a 1g in my local yard, I could grab that plug in if you wanted. I'm going back for the NA water pipe and front hubs

ade

^+1

strokin4dr

I used the one from the boost solenoid to repair mine. It was in great shape, not hard and brittle like the ones near the engine always are. It's only $5 for a new pigtail on the site linked above.

turbohf

i just used 2 female spade connectors. soldier and shrink wrapped of course.

bradrs

Quoting GSTwithPSI:

ECT plug pic

Thanks for the good pic of that plug. That one is one I am still trying to ID so I can get the right replacement, and not just something that is "close" or "kinda" fits.

I am slowly trying to track down all these harness connectors, and get them available on the site posted above. But it a hobby, so it does take a little time(and help with pictures since I have a 2G DSM only). There are a few I have that aren't on the site yet, like ECU connectors/terminals. But I am still looking for that ECT plug. I have the 2G ECT plug.

JNZ has found a plug that isn't the original one, but works well. So they are definitely worth contacting.

Last edited:

bradrs

Quoting turbohf:
i just used 2 female spade connectors. soldier and shrink wrapped of course.

I do not recommend shrink wrapping soldiers. They generally get pretty angry about that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Soldering wire to the connector and shrink wrapping isn't necessarily a good idea either. If anything I'd just crimp the terminals very tightly. When you solder and heatshrink, the wire loses a lot of flexibility.

92_talon_awd

^I strongly disagree. Crimping is nice and quick but soldering is best for maximum electrical conductivity. Heat shrinking is also recommended because it prevents oil/water/dirt from getting into the connection. If nothing else, use the butt connectors that have heat shrink built into them but solder whenever possible.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
What Brad said about soldering applies to the connection to the metal terminal. It is best to retain flexibility of the wires there for durability. Soldering a repair splice in-line is not the same thing, and generally ok as long as it is not in an area with a lot of movement. Soldering actually makes wiring more brittle since it wicks up the wires.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quote:
B30-2.jpg

Brad, I think that connector is made by AMP. Should be pretty standard, and is used for the trunk speakers on the VR4 also I believe.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned