The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

removing chrome moldings and replacing?

turbohf

chrome kinda bothers me, never really a fan. im pretty sure its just double side taped in there and is going to be a bitch to remove/clean. anyone replaced it with color matched molding? painting it doesnt seem to be an option. i really think it will chip off, and i think i have a couple spots already pealing anyway.

where can i get color matched stuff to replace it with? or is there other options? vinyl wrap/tape?

thanks.

turbowop

I found black stuff that matches the size and shape of the chrome trim perfectly, which is what I used on my car. I got it at a local auto paint supply place. I'll dig up the info tomorrow. Cheeky asked me about it when he was visiting as well and we figured out that it could be purchased online.

turbohf

so you have black moldings on a green car? or you have them painted with the car?

oh, btw. my car is green if you guys dont click on the pic in my sig.

turbowop

I have black moldings. When I had the car painted in '04, I installed all new OE chrome. Then last year, when I put on the new wheels, I ripped it out and went for the black stuff.

turbohf

ahh, ok. thanks

how much of a bitch to pull the trim out? it leave lots of foam/adhesive to scrape out? suppose i would use a heat gun and take my time.

BluFalcon

I think the body shop painted my chrome trim black when they painted the car, or they sourced the same stuff Mark is using. Whatever they did, I love the way the car looks without the chrome on it. I imagine, on Belize Green it'll look pretty good. Something that breaks up the monochromatic look of the car but doesn't scream: "Hey! Look At Me!! I'm Really Shiny!"

Last edited:

Diego

Only chrome strip I have left is on the doors. My RS rear came black stripped instead of chrome, my front had chrome but it was painted over, makes it very subtle.

Diego

JCorbo25

I'd be interested in the solution also. I've contemplated painting over mine but most of my chrome is starting to peel and it'd be a major PITA to fix it as I go.

turbohf

well I have a lead on some that might be body colored. and so far no one locally has black.

Last edited:

prove_it

Your better off using a heat gun and patience to remove the strips. They will just rip off, which is what I did. Now I have a load of gunk in the grooves that is a pita to remove. At least it's a gray car so it doesn't look bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned