The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Removing broken bolt question - dumb question alert

Dark_Horse

When drilling into a broken exhaust manifold stud - how far do I have to drill into it before using a bolt extractor? I was under the impression that I needed to drill the entire way through it to allow the penetrating oil to work it's magic from both ends. Is that not the case? For some reason, I can't get the drillbits to go more than 1/8 - 1/4 inch into the studs.

Those studs are very hard. Normally i drill 1/4-1/2 into the stud. there has been times i had to drill the whole thing out and re-thread it.

All i can add is, best of luck and http://www.plymouthlaser.com/tbolt.htm. I had to do this on my 7cm housing, if you can, go all the way. I even took it to a little mom and pop machine shop and he handed it back to me, "it keeps breaking my drill bits, i cant do, so sorry"

Took some heavy machinery at a brewing company (will leave nameless) machine shop to get the bolt out.

If your drill bit is harder than the material you are cutting, you'll do fine. If its a cheap bit and softer than the bolt/stud, dont bother. If you are at 1/4", hammer in the extractor then give it a go.

Here is me working on a broken bolt. Softer than your stud, but same principal. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8wspxPKWLA

This was also informative if you have the tools. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTRUXRv2HFs

Last edited by a moderator:

Dark_Horse

None of the cobalt bits seem to be able to drill farther into the stud than 1/4 inch. Are there bits that are harder than cobalt bits?

Barnes

Wow. Short of tungsten-carbide bits, you don't get much harder than cobalt. Maybe coated cobalt, but you should be able to get through it with a cobalt bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

broxma

The way we do it is weld a nut onto it. Set the nut on the broken end of the stud and then TIG weld it from the inside. Smack it with a hammer one good time and turn it out. Am yet to have a failure using this method and takes about 5 minutes if the person is skilled in it.

/brox

Dark_Horse

The studs both broke off inside the head, so there is no way to weld a nut onto either of them. If they won't come out with drill/extractor method, there is no other way they'll come out. I really don't want to buy a new head...But it looks like I may have to.

Dark_Horse

Was able to get 1 of the broken studs out with a bolt extractor. Will have to go pickup a few more cobalt bits before I try to extract the last broken exhaust manifold stud.

Rausch

Get some heat on the bolt when you're ready to extract. Should help up the success rate.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned