The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rebuilding the head, is it worth it doing it

alik

by your lonesome, or, just suck it up and hand it over to the engine shop (knowledgeable, used him in the past)
(for the record, I've never done the engine before, but, I know the business end of a wrench)

Last edited:

dsmtalontsi95

I said let the pro do it, but it depends on what your doing to it. I would have it built with larger valves and machine the valve seats also if you have ever put springs in with the little hand tool (where you put the retainers in to) it sucks. Of course I only weigh 150 lbs so I don't have much ass bahind it.

broxma

It depends on exactly what you have to do. If I do a leakdown test and am running 90+ in all 4 with no indication of leaks at the seat, I just pop the springs and replace the valve seals. Anyone can do that really. An 8" C-clamp from Home Depot, a Dremel and an spark plug socket is what I use for the compressor.

If I am going to swap springs and have confidence in them, height wise, same story. I only take a head down to the shop for two reasons. Valve guides, which yes I could do my self but don't, and regrinding the seats/valves. Regrinding the seat means cutting the valve stem, again, something I could do with some accuracy, but it's cheap enough for me to not bother with it. Where I live, I can get 16 valves cleaned on the lathe, new seats cut, valves cut, hot tanked, with new guides for 173.00, even if they are oversized. New oversized valves brings the price down actually because they don't have to clean them.

So it depends.

/brox

If you have not done it before and you do not have anyone experienced to help you then send it off. The first time I sent my head off, I took it to DSM Graveyard. They do very good work at good prices. That is if you haven't yet already chosen someone to send it to.

curtis

I'd send it to Chris Beren and have him port it and then on to his machinist. You'll be more than happy. If you want to do that yell and I'll put you in touch with him.

beaner

I just finished redoing my head for the first time over this past month. I ported out the exhaust side with a dremel playing by all the rules I could read on the forums. Took it to the local machine shop after and had them make sure everything was fine, deck it, seat the valves, etc. I assembled everything myself. It was really fun, I'm glad I decided to do it. Just take your time and read read read if in doubt on some steps. Nothing about it is hard, it's just a matter of doing it correctly.

alik

While I'm not above replacing the valve guide seals, it's the seating of the valves I was concerned about, and, as far as polishing and porting, I'm a lot more concerned about my potential abilities.

Besides, I have no clue as to what the leakdown test would have shown, as, I got the head separate from the block...
Greatly appreciate everyone's input. It looks like the head is heading to the shop.

Thanks, guys!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned