The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

locals in Nj, need some help

mcbride89

Hey guys. I've been struggling with 125 lately with one thing after another and now that my "friend"/shop owner said basically he's done working on my car, I wondered if someone local wouldn't mind lending me a hand one day. It's not that in incompetent but I'm just scared a little on timing my car. We had it all together after a head job and the tensior pulley froze up an the belt rubs now.

I was just wondering if anyone was available one day to lend a hand tackling this real quick. Last time in the shop we had it done in like an hour but we had the availability to air tools. I would like to replace tensior, pulley and idler pulley.

I've read everything on the vfaq, but I'm more of a hands on type of guy before I do things SOLEY on my own...

So if anyone isn't gonna flake and give me a hand. It'd be beyond appreciated and beer, food and you name it is on me.

Ant

desant78

You have a Pm sir. (in about 1 min)

mcbride89

Just wanted to say I got 125 running with help from Alan helping me with the parts. Went ahead an tackled it head on by myself and pulled it off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif the guy who did it before and I'm glad I did it myself because the exhaust cam was out half a tooth from when he did it. I plan on having a few words with him when I pick up my engine stand and other motor from his shop tomorrow.

Anyway, all I have to do is fill with coolant, re-install the ISC and check for boost leaks. Other then that I'm pretty happy.

Ant

mcbride89

Lol I hear that!!! I wouldn't say it's running consistently BUT it runs and sounds good! It's been 3 months since I've heard her. Timing was a breeze, really over thought it lol just sucks being its so tight in there.

Transparent, were all gonna have to meet up some day soon!!!

Ant

transparentdsm

yeah its a little tight, but after you've done it 30 or so times it becomes second nature. i do them in about 2 1/2 to 3 hours now. i actually just did one on the wife's, 1078, because the crank was off by 2 or 3 teeth and the belt was loose and flopping.

edit: for sure well have to all meet up one of these days.

Last edited:

alansupra94

Quoting mcbride89:
Just wanted to say I got 125 running with help from Alan helping me with the parts. Went ahead an tackled it head on by myself and pulled it off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif the guy who did it before and I'm glad I did it myself because the exhaust cam was out half a tooth from when he did it. I plan on having a few words with him when I pick up my engine stand and other motor from his shop tomorrow.

Anyway, all I have to do is fill with coolant, re-install the ISC and check for boost leaks. Other then that I'm pretty happy.

Ant

Any time dude, glad everything worked out.

mcbride89

Well I thought it was all good. Started and everything. Pulled the car off the street and up the driveway. Back out of the driveway and I start hearing a flapping noise. So I took everything all apart. Looked at the tensioner that I got from Alan, I don't know if it was the reason but there was some oil residue on it. Wasn't like that before I installed, maybe on its last leg?
6F250F07-BAF2-47F8-A1B9-4C61146B4B36-1252-00000148E676FFDF.jpg

I reset my other one that looke okay. And reassembled. I had it for the day so I'm going to wrap it all up in the morning. Wanted to go to th gym and take out some aggravation. Well see what tomorrow holds...

Ant

alansupra94

Quoting mcbride89:
Well I thought it was all good. Started and everything. Pulled the car off the street and up the driveway. Back out of the driveway and I start hearing a flapping noise. So I took everything all apart. Looked at the tensioner that I got from Alan, I don't know if it was the reason but there was some oil residue on it. Wasn't like that before I installed, maybe on its last leg?
6F250F07-BAF2-47F8-A1B9-4C61146B4B36-1252-00000148E676FFDF.jpg

I reset my other one that looke okay. And reassembled. I had it for the day so I'm going to wrap it all up in the morning. Wanted to go to th gym and take out some aggravation. Well see what tomorrow holds...

Ant

Oh snap it is leaking? Sorry dude, it wasn't leaking or had any residue on it when I was checking it.

mcbride89

It's all good al, It went together fine too, that why I was thinking maybe it was on it last leg. I put my other one in and were gonna see how that it. I let it so over night so I'm about to go check the clearance and see if it check out

alansupra94

Okay sweet. Sorry dude, I had it sitting in my box and it seemed fine when I pushed it together using my vice and slowly let it come back out.

mcbride89

So ill start off by saying I just got gas and hit the gym /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I measured the clearance when I got home at 12. She was loose so I pulled it off and reset it, and got some good leverage with my snap ring pillars on the tensioner pulley. I've learne that bugger is the key to it all. I've got a little bit of an Irradic idle problem but I believe that's due to the TPS the one wire I think for ground stripped. So I've got that to fix, I'm pulled like 13 vac on idle so ive got a vacuum leak that needs to be addressed. I'm gonna make a boost leak tester and do that tomorrow but she is running!!

No oil or coolant leaks either after putting two crush washers on my return line from the turbo.. But made some serious progress I must say. I'm only boosting 10lbs but I'm trying to stay out of it until tomorrow or Tuesday when I can give it another once over.

Ant

mcbride89

After I took her to wash her up. First time since I I've owned her as she's spent some time sitting :/

1F4A55DC-322D-413D-8625-3FC9295AAC09-2664-0000029E75B7E2B0.jpg

66CA05B7-95E3-46F2-929D-536D7A7CA914-2664-0000029E46B85210.jpg

And of everything put back together
3AF570DB-868D-47CE-8F99-3360CF66CE92-2664-0000029E8DF3424E.jpg

Ant

blackvr4

Man that galant looks AWESOME! Good to hear you got some things sorted out!

mcbride89

Oh I have one man, it's just off so I could inspect it and paint it the same color as my intercooler pipes. Thank you. Currently got stuck on the side of the road because of a shot ground wire -_- fixing that now. Just my luck. On my way to school and everything

alansupra94

That uncut bumper looks nice. Same with the wheels.

We gotta go cruising sometime when my car gets finished. If it ever gets finished lol.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned